Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tip your beer to the chevy K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Mar 10, 2004.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

My 1990 K5 is hitting 250K miles, or a quarter million miles this week. It's had a tranny, but no motor or diff's. It's great on brakes too. I had to totally rebuild my 1981 Toyota straight axle pickemup before it hit 200K miles. Chevy, the longest lasting trucks on the road. Period.

2. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 1990 K5 is hitting 250K miles, or a quarter million miles this week. It's had a tranny, but no motor or diff's. It's great on brakes too. I had to totally rebuild my 1981 Toyota straight axle pickemup before it hit 200K miles. Chevy, the longest lasting trucks on the road. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Longest lasting my A$$. You have been lucky.

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I was lucky with the toyota to get it that far. Straight axle chevy is a tougher truck, don't care what anyone says.

4. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Ok, keep telling yourself that.

5. Roshambo

Roshambo Registered Member

No doubt... my truck had 220k on it when I finally blew the motor.

Anyone read about that guy with the C/K Chevy that had 1,000,000 miles on it? No rebuilds or anything.. he drove it to work day in and day out all over the place.

Valvoline (the oil he used) bought the truck from him and gave him a brand new Chevy.. then tore the motor down and said it looked like it could go several hundred k more. Long live GM and the SBC. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sample - How bored are you to be fishing for flame bait? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Joe

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I hit 230,000 about a month ago..
    on my 91' 2500...

Chevys Rule!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and I thought hitting 187K was cool

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

when i worked over the summer guy there had a chevy van (mid 80's) had 650k miles on it. Asked my friend about it couple weeks ago, its now got 700k on it. Original motor. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Put another 60,000 on it, and you have caught up with my 'Burb....

Good luck with the next 250k.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My K5 has a estimated 315k miles on it....

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 92 k2500 with 250k on it.

Just put another 3200 on in 1 week. No significant problems. My 87 k5 has 137k on it. Still going. I wont say I've never had a problem, but *knock on wood* most problems have not been as significant as the ones on my other cars.

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sample - How bored are you to be fishing for flame bait? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, he never brings anything to the table. Just throws out some worthless post and goes on his way.

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My 92 Yukon has 200k on it. Previous owner drove the [darn] out of it, too. I'd be surprised if it hit 250k with the towing and all that I do, but had it been cared for I could see it hitting 300k easily. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

-Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, he never brings anything to the table. Just throws out some worthless post and goes on his way.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be sample for you. What an asshat. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 85K5 has about 200K on it total but has about 7K or so on the whole drivetrain because everything has just been replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tip your beer to the chevy K5

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! A little different reason though. Over the weekend, I watched a '79 barrel roll 7 or 8 times down a hill /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    It had the stock roll protection...the guy had a few scrapes and bruises. Lucky sunovabitch. I can post a picture tonight.

17. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

My 1970 has 320K on it, 2nd engine and transmission. The tranny now has 300K and the engine 60K. Keep in mind this is 34 years old, carbed and was used on the ranch. My 00 Silverado has 90K. GM rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My step father has a 96 model GM Van he runs as his work/daily driver and to date he is approaching the 800K mark and the only things he has replaced are the Alt, fuel pump, and starter, everything else even the tranny have been put through some EXTREME HELL!!! Its not all highway miles cause he lives in the city so alot of it is stop and go stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That chevy has sure impressed me!!!

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My step father has a 96 model GM Van he runs as his work/daily driver and to date he is approaching the 800K mark and the only things he has replaced are the Alt, fuel pump, and starter, everything else even the tranny have been put through some EXTREME HELL!!! Its not all highway miles cause he lives in the city so alot of it is stop and go stuff. That chevy has sure impressed me!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats incredible! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

when we sold our 89 S-10 it had over 320,000 and as far as i know its still going strong today! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif