Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tips for installing fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, May 18, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A mech pump?

Unbolt the smog pump so it can be moved around
    Take the fuel lines off the pump
    remove pump bolts & pump

I don't know a good way to keep that stupid pushrod up though. It was a PITA to do.

I can tell you though, disconnect the metal fuel line from the carb too. It is alot easier to reconnect it to the pump first then to the carb. Trying to connect it to the pump with it attached to the carb is a PITA.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know a good way to keep that stupid pushrod up though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There's a threaded hole in the front of the block, right in front of the fuel pump pushrod. It has a short bolt installed in it. You remove that bolt and insert a longer one and just snug it up against the push rod, to hold the push rod in place. Install the fuel pump, then remove the long bolt and put the short one back in the hole. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yea, don't forget to remove that long bolt before starting the engine! If you do, it's likely that you'll ruin the fuel pump eccentric on the cam. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do this pushrod thing. That is by far the hardest part of the install. I decided not to remove my smog pump and the bolt is behind it and oh man it took me 2 or 3 hours of repeating the samething over and over.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I never mess around with the long bolt thing, although yes that works just fine.

The heavy grease you pack the fuel pump cavity is not enough to hold the pushrod in place. You need a hacksaw blade - just a long thing hacksaw blade. I use it to hold the pushrod up while I put the fuel pump in place. I then slip the hacksaw blade out once I have the fuel pump in place. Put the bolts in and it's a done deal, easy as pie.

-- Mike

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've tried all ways to keep the damn pushrod up and the best/fastest way is Mike's way, the glorious hack saw blade. It also helps if you bend it just a little bit, towards the end. I keep one in my toolbox now...

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

The way I've always done it is to push up the rod and quickly, and I do mean VERY quickly, put the fuel pump in there before the rod has a chance to come back down. It's pretty simple, actually. I changed mine on the way to work once when it gave out. Another recommended way is to coat the rod havily with grease. Then push the rod up and the grease will hold up the rod. It'll come down, but veeery slowly. Never used that method, though.

8. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

used the grease method before....kinda a PITA, but it works usually. Sometimes though, no matter how much grease you throw in, the stupied rod won't stay up. I'm gonna try the hacksaw method next time I have to do it, sounds pretty effective, and a lot cleaner.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the grease works a little sometimes. If you push the rod up and push it to the side a little it cocks a tiny bit and holds itself for a while till you bump it or it eventually slides down. I never thought of the hacksaw, thats a good idea.