Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips for removing 14BFF wheel seal. Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Aug 18, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok I don't have a seal puller so let me hear your tips for removing this fa$%kin seal. It's stuck in there good and I can't remember how I got them out last time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I spedn about 20 minutes fighting with mine....i found pounding a screw into them, threading it in ha;lf way and then using a claw hammer to pry at it worked....there was A LOT of hammering with a blade screwdriver, and evenmore cursing. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I was pulling one and my son was helping. We're prying away and then it came out all at once and my kid has his head right over it. That seal smoked him right in the forhead. SLICE>. He wasn't at all happy with me about that even though I had told him to keep his head back several times. Anyhow, watch out for that. Prying them is about the only way I have ever been able to get them out.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I don't have a seal remover either, but I manage to get them out with a claw hammer, prybar/crowbar, and a screwdriver. The other thing you can try is take a skinny piece of wood and drive the bearing and seal out together from the front side.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A small hammer and a crows foot always works. Just tap the crows foot under the back side of the seal and pry on it until it pops out. Sometimes they come right out and sometimes they don't but I have never not been able to get one to come out. I work on semi trucks all day long and do a seal probably once every other day and that has always worked.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why can't you just tap it out from the inside?

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

A claw hammer works great, especially one of those "California Framers"

8. cybrfire

If I remember correctly when you tip the hub up seal side down the inner bearing falls against the seal. If your after removing the both of them then I don't see why you can't tap them out together but to get at just the seal its hard to keep that bearing out of the way. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I remember it.

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

your right cybrfire the inner bearing is in the way. I got it out about 15 min after I posted I just needed a beer i guess /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If your after removing the both of them then I don't see why you can't tap them out together

[/ QUOTE ]You're not supposed to pound on the bearing because it gouges it up but some people do it.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If your after removing the both of them then I don't see why you can't tap them out together

[/ QUOTE ]You're not supposed to pound on the bearing because it gouges it up but some people do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it with a hammer handle. I've never had it gouge up a bearing.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like I said, you are not supposed to pound on the bearing period. I had always been taught never to do that by our commercial mechanics.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like I said, you are not supposed to pound on the bearing period. I had always been taught never to do that by our commercial mechanics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess whoever taught you that failed to realize that a wood hammer handle is much softer than the bearing.

14. rjfguitar

How many times do I have to say it? Beating on a roller bearing with a metal tool, rebar, wooden hammer handle, pogo stick...whatever, is hard on the rollers in the bearing.

If you still want to argue don't expect another response.

15. cybrfire

When I had said if you were wanting to remove both of them what I should have said was wanted to "replace" both of them. I have never beaten a bearing out and then reused it but it doesn't sound like a good idea. The thin metal peice that holds the rollers is pretty easy to bend.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never had any issues with destroying bearings this way. This is the same thing that I do at work, when some dumbass sends me a drum or rotor, yet is stupid enough to not knock the inner bearing and seal out before they do so.

Mostly I do it because if I don't, guaranteed the same dumbass will not clean the metal shavings from the machining operation out of the hub, and it'll be MY fault their bearing is full of crap, because they were too stupid to knock the bearings out and clean them up.

No arguing necessary. I guess you guys are thinking I am hitting it harder than I really am. A ball peen hammer hit on top with an open hand is not going to destroy a bearing. Usually that is all it takes to knock the seal out.

17. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you can knock a 14 bolt wheel seal out that easily, then you are obviously much stronger than me.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Seal puller.

I cant remember which race the snapring holds in, but if its iht outer race, just knock the inner race out, itll push the beaing and seal, then put the race back in.

Oh it helps if you have a bigger hammer and HIT it!