Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips for towing with a 2wd 1/2 ton Burb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Nov 22, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I picked up an 88 2wd 1/2 ton Burb for cheap a while back, and we love it for fitting the whole family. It's in beautiful shape, and runs great for 160K. My girls whine about not enough room in the K5 for trips, so I was thinking of towing it when I'm able to go on a run far away. Can my Burb do the job, and if so, stock or with some beefing? It's just a family car now. Thanks in advance.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I was having the space woes with the K5 too. I was also trying to tow with the K5. I started looking into load leveliing hitches and trailer brakes. My trailer has electric brakes. Go to a RV shop and check out their towing section. You always see them towing something behind their RV's. I just bought a 90 3/4 Ton Sub yesterday. I hope this fills my needs. I think you can tow your K5 with a 1/2 Ton Sub. I Towed another K5 with mine. It wasn't the best pull but it did the job. Have you considered putting a 1 Ton rear in your Sub. It will have lower gears and bigger brakes. Good luck.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It will work, just make sure you have a big tranny cooler. I didnt and blew up my tranny last time I tried to tow. That and I am sure having 35s and 3.42 doesnt help either :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>