Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips for when you get pulled.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

They dont cover this enough in drivers ed, they didn't when I took it and I think its something good to know. It makes the officer feel safer when you do this, and sometimes even get you out of a ticket. Feel free to add to this cause i'll probably leave something out.

1. Pull to the shoulder. For the love of god do not stop in the middle of the road, not only does that put everbody in danger, it really pisses us off. :D
    If there isn't a shoulder to pull on, turn your signal on, and pull in a parking lot or wait till you can pull to the shoulder of the road.

2. Turn your dome light on and keep your hands on the steering wheel untill the officer tells you to get license an registration.

3. If you have a gun in the vehicle, tell the officer where it is, and if its loaded. The officer may want you to exit the vehicle, while they check/secure it, but then again he may not. Depends on YOUR actions more often then not if the officer thinks the gun is a big deal. If your vehicle is searched, and a gun is found, THEN it is a big deal. I'd rather know about it beforehand.

4. Be nice, even if the guy is a prick, be nice. If you get a ticket, you'll have your day in court.

5. Stay in the vehicle.

6. Tell your passenger not reach under the seat at any time, that can be seen as the officer as hiding something, or reaching for a weapon.

I hope this helps, People do crazy things on traffic stops. Something you see as totally normal, may be seen as the officer as Criticaly dangerous. The officer never knows who he is dealing with. Like i said, feel free to add anything or question anything I've posted.

When I approach a vehicle, and most of the above listed is done(dome light on, hands on steering wheel, etc) I feel alittle safer, and usually alot nicer :D

This has been a public safety message from Yours truely :xmas:

2. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

i think attitude is a huge deal. when ever i got pulled over i was always nice and polite. hence most of the time there were nice back. there just doin there job. if u disrespect them you will most likely regret it. nothing pisses me off more then to have someone that is disrespectfull for no reason

ps i agree with the above post

3. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I was pulled over once on my way home from the gym. My wallet was in the backseat inside my black gym bag. I made it very clear that I had to reach back there to retrieve my ID, and that if he didn't feel comfortable that I would hand him the bag and he could get it out. He didn't seem to have an issue with me getting it, but I didn't want to surprise him by reaching into the bag without warning.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Two of my biggest pet peeves. I will wait to light a person up until we have a place to stop. Unfortunately, I see a lot of cops around here do their stops just wherever cause they have the attitude that once the lights go on, the people need to stop right there.

I don't know if I still have the whole video, do have a part of it because it's blooper material on my part, of what not to do when you get lighted up. In short, I light the car up, stops in the middle of the road. I get on the PA to tell the driver to keep going until he can pull off the road. So he goes and we pass about 6 perfect places and we keep going and I finally start hitting the siren and he stops in the middle of the road again. So another PA check and finally the driver pulls off the road. I was figuring drunk driver. He had been all over the road, and then his actions when I lit him up, there's no way this guy is sober. Get up to the car, pull the driver out and he's ****ing sober. :mad:

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i hurd of an interesting thing to do.

if you are getting pulled over, pull out your paperwork and look forward, do not look at the cop don say anything just hand him your paper work. and stare forward.

he wont come back to the car with out back up. lol and you will have "aproch with caution' next to your name from then on.

something about normal people talk and the crazy phycos dont.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Here's two I would add/modify:

1. Shut the motor off, and if night time, the headlights.
    2. Put your hands out the window where they're both visible as the officer approaches.
    3. If you know you broke the law, and you know the officer saw you, you notice him either leave his hiding spot or move to get behind you, just save him the trouble and pull over.

I've had most officers compliment me on the hands out the window thing. I'd like to think it's gotten me out of tickets, but I also had some PBA stickers in view... It seems to convey that I will cooperate before they get to the car. Many officers would walk up and ask where I learned the hands out the window thing, and I'd respond "my dad taught me, he learned it working for the state police", and the officer would often say "ok, well I pulled you over because _____, so try to [improve/correct whatever I was pulled over for]".

Pulling over when I knew I broke the law and a cop saw me was always good. I used to routinely blow a stop sign near my house when I started driving, and saw an officer on the T behind some bushes as I blew it once. I just pulled over a little further up the road, out of his view, and when he pulled up behind me after whipping around the corner for hot pursuit, he thanked me for stopping and told me to stop at the sign next time, have a nice day. No ID, no warning, just appreciation and take care.

Another note for the drivers: TAKE NOTES, and if possible PHOTOS. I've had my day in court leave me fuming in front of the judge because the officer either lied, forgot and made up his notes, or confused me with another stop he'd made.
    This happened to me twice, and the judge will almost ALWAYS take a cops word over some punk-arse long hair (I had long hair years ago). I had to pay a failure to signal and tailgating ticket because of this. GRRRRRRR!!!! Even if you may have broken the law, if the officer can't properly recount the event, then maybe he should not have cited you for it. This one will irk me to the grave, and I'll probably never forget the judge in both those cases (even though I can't remember his name right now)...

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I dont think I really like that. If that was done to me, I would suspect this guy has been in a Felony Take Down for some reason, and I'm gonna be weary of this guy.

As far as turn your engine off thats a good one that I forgot, as far as turn your head lights off thats good to an extent, Might want to turn your emergency flashers on just to be safe. Even with all sorts of blue lights behind you, its never a good idea to be on the side of the road with no lights on at all.

:D

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good point, I thought there was more to that tip than I was remembering right...

It's been a while since I've been pulled over!:grin:

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

This one is especially important. I've done this twice, and didn't get a ticket either time. I also make sure the officer knows exactly what I'm doing at all times... "I am reaching into my pocket to get my wallet" ...."I am reaching into the console to get the registration." etc. ...I was pulled out of a car at gun point once because I didn't tell the officer I was going to get the registration out of the console :shocked: Not fun... (apperently he was only used to people getting it out of the glovebox) :mad: He also asked me if he could search my car...and said if i didn't let him he would take me straight to jail. So i said he could.... of course he doesn't even bother to search the car (just a power trip i'm guessing) and sends me on my way...no ticket or anything.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't particuliar like this one. If done during the day where I can see the occupants, then it's not a problem. But at night time when I can't see them, then I start to wonder if they are switching drivers. Have had it happened...........................

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

notes and pics saved me once RATCH.going to work one morning about 7:00 am. i was heading north on southfield freeway exiting at 8 mile. when yo get to 8 mile the left lane has to turn left, the center lane can turn left or go sraight,and the right lane has to go straight.well i'm turning left and need to be in the right lane of 8 mile so i'm in the center turn lane. as usual some dick neck in the LEFT lane tries to go straight and hit my blazer.:mad: we both then turn left and pull into the shell station on the right corner, after crossing southfield.when the cops snowed up all the saw was grandma crying and poor grandpas mini van dented and a long hair. i got the ticket cuz the police thought i was headind south bound??? so i took pics of the inter section( and had my friend mike thats a cop in westland who used to work with the cop who wrote the ticket) call him. the judge was cool and droped it. other wise i would have faught it till the end. now that southfield cop and i are friends,14 years now. LOL it is good to make your self as easy to see for the officer as you can, another suggestion is to pull strait into a parking space so you can't speed off if possible. on the lighter side my best friend mike who works for taylor mich, was sitting and saw a mustang pull out of a car wash fish tailing , tires smoking. so he chased him ant the guys girl freind was crying and the guy was crying "i can't get another ticket sir, please". mike said "i didn't pull you over to give you a ticket, i pulled you over to tell you your car is a POS. i could spin the tires on a mini-van on wet pavement". and walked away.:grin:

12. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have always went ahead and pulled to the side if I know I was caught speeding or such and the officer always thanked me for it. I also shut the engine off, pull the keys out of the ignition ans set them on the top of the car. Just something my dad taught me to do when I was a kid. He was a police officer for 15 years or so.

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Traffic Stops

Here's one nobody mentioned but I have seen over and over.

DON'T RUN AWAY!

If you rabbit you need to realize right then that pulling over is the best thing you can do. It's never too late to stop, the longer you run the worse it will get - if you don't manage to kill yourself or someone else first.

Better to feel stupid and accept the punishment for a small violation than to make it worse by trying to escape.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

1. Obey the laws .
    2. Obey posted signs .
    3. Use common sense .
    4. Keep your vehicle tagged and insured .
    5. Keep your vehicle from dropping parts all over the road .
    6. Don't drive when the bars get out if YOU DON'T NEED TO .
    7. Wear your seatbelt .
    8. Don't drive like a race car drivers and make someone call you in .

Then getting pulled over is very remote :D

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

But if you're out in the county at 2am, go ahead and run; it's fun for all involved....................... :D

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had a friend who tried to elude in a rabbit, made it all the way to another state, but when they caught him boy did they lay a whippin' on that boy...Shouda seen the look on his face when i told him he deseved it...:D

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

A time that sticks out in my head is when I got pulled over one summer in my 91 S10. Myself, and two friends where going down the highway I was going a hair under 70, in a hurry to the parts store for Glow Plugs for my truck...no real reason to be speeding other then once i got them in we were going muddin. The S10 was a regular cab and my friend craig never grabbed the middle seat belt from under the seat, so he squirms around and gets the belt on. So I get pulled over, shut off my S10, set the parking brake(5-Speed). Get my Registration out of the thing on my sunvisor and my license out of my wallet. He comes up says good after noon, I say good afternoon and hand him my stuff, I keep my hands up on the wheel. The state Patrolmen(Phil, I know him because he works with the DNR in my area also have Ive talked to him when he sees me out hunting etc. one of the nicest guys youll over know really.) then says to my friend Craig in the middle...say you were squirming around a bit, did you have your seat belt on. Craig lies and says yes. Well you were moving around like you were hiding something or putting on your seat belt. Immediatly and LIKE A IDIOT i may add Craig says "What do you think we have drugs in here..." Craig and Jake(other friend) had long "stoner" hair at the time anyway. So on Highway 71 a mere 3 miles from my hometown, my S10 gets searched for drugs. Nothin gets found so I am asked back to his car to do the ticket work, I had to sign on a digital thing. He was nice enough to knock it down to 65 so it wouldnt affect my insureance at all. Then he asked me before I went back to the pickup, was your friend wearing his seat belt, I told him no and craig got a ticket, he was pissed at me for about 2 weeks of course he didnt have the humilation of getting asked everyone who drove by if i was doin drugs now...dip****...

Also while we are on the subject, should you throw the hazards on when you get pulled over?

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats funny,except for the ticket.i gave a new guy a ride home last week , after around 8 miles i realized he wasn't whereing his seat belt.:mad: after pulling over and giving him a stern talking to(in michigan the driver gets the ticket),he put it on. in mich the new source of revenue is traffic tickets. AND we still have crappy roads.LOL

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Makes a lot of sense to me, too. Must be that guys named Paul are smarter than average or something!!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :whistle:

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i best friend's brother was out drinking one night with his two buddys. and got pulled.

dumbass wated for the cop to walk up to his pick up then stomped on it.

after 10 min or so the cops dranged him out of his truck bet the crap out of his (not bad just gat some shots in)
    then shoved a breathalizer in his face.

then congradulated him: " good job dumbass you blew under"

the guy wasent over the limit and he toook off. i think he just got his licence back and that was about 7 or 8 years a go. not to mention a boat load of fines and them takeing the truck.

dumbass