Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips On Buying

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickb, Nov 27, 2005.

1. nickb

nickb Registered Member

Hey all, im a younger guy who has been in love with the k5s as long as i can remember. Anyways i finally have enough money saved up to buy one of my own. Ive been looking at a lot of them lately and just wanted to know any tips or things to look for on these..?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Best bet is to go to the classified section and look at what people are selling for how much.
    Texas should be a non-rust issue.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dont buy some hillbilly's rig that has been cobbled together over the years...

if you buy one that has been lifted or modified at all... Go over it with a fine tooth comb.... Check the wiring.. the blazer, and jimmy that i have bought, are wiring nightmares to say the least...

Knowing what i do now, i wouldve bought a 100% stock rig from somone who was real old and maintained it well...

4. bornreadyk5

bornreadyk5 Registered Member

1987 and newer will have EFI.

67-75 will have full convertable top.

also, I personally would stay away from mid 70's with full time 4x4 and any calif. emissions..unless your from cali.

Good luck.

5. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

look for Rust in the wheelwells, on the kickdown panel under the rear seat and in the tailgate area.
    also if the window seals are bad thier may have been water running into the doors and tailgate.

Mine was a OKlahoma truck since new and only had 2 owners before me, the original buyer and then he sold it to the family i got it from, who were friends of mine.

if its lifted, make sure its not a el-cheapo kit, good hardware used etc.

mine has rubber floor, and the 60 yr old man that i bought it from used to wash it out with a hose, now some rust has started under that mat, nothing bad but i gotta get to it befor it gets worse. watch out for this.

also look for bad stereo installs, janky wireing as stated above.

and if the top has been on and off alot you could be in for some leaking aroud the seals, mine was only off twice that i know of, and the seals dont leak at all.

i like AC in my rigs, be sure that the AC works, it can get expensive if it doesnt.

and mines for sale :wink1:

6. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Make sure to look at the part of the frame where the steering box bolts on as they can crack even on stock trucks. Other than that just look for use and abuse like any other used truck. un-even tire wear? low on oil? leaks?drives good? sounds good? starts easy? :wink1: And yes a stock rig in good shape owned by someone who cared about the truck is allways a good idea.
    my junk
    78 k5/350/465/205/60/14bsf/37'' boggers

7. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

Ive heard from owners of 1980 models that their transmission and transfer case parts are incompatible with other years so I would avoid that year. some pre73 front 44s have puny front axle ujoints. Stay away from ones with a 203 transfer case. Start stock and you can do what you want. Good luck and enjoy.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The '80 models are oddball because they all got the NP205. The AWD NP203 had been discontinued, but the NP208 was not yet ready for production. This makes the '80 year a little more desirable in my opinion...

Of course a 205 can be swapped into any year k5 without too much work, so it's not that big a deal either.

I'd agree with the others and look for dead stock, well cared for and zero rust. Next I'd look to either TBI or diesel (again either of those can be swapped later too)

Lots of options usually equals lots of headaches. I very much prefer manual crank windows, no AC, manual tailgate etc etc etc.
    Rene

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The 80' model 205's were all slip yokes AFAIK (definitely in the 1-tons).

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup all were slip yokes...

Rene

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

oh hell yea... Crank windows and tailgate, with out question. best way to go

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

If at all possible, try to find one from an owner in his/her 40's and up. Older vehicle owners tend to take better care of there vehicles and are not out getting drunk on the weekends smashing there trucks up out in the boonies.

As stated above, find an all stock rig if possible. It may be tempting to buy a badass already lifted rig, but who knows what the person before you did with it.

If you have any mechanical knowledge you could also look at buying a non running K5 for dirt cheap and spend the extra dough on putting in your favorite motor, lift, tires, etc.

Good luck on your find and stick around here on CK5. You will save so much time and money by asking questions here than you can imagine.

13. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

hey where in texas are you?

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

For me, the important factors are that its a '87 or newer (FI!) and the engine runs well... and the tranny shifts good. Anything else can be easily fixed in a driveway with enough time/effort... or will be swapped out for more hardcore parts anyway. :thumb:

j

15. nickb

nickb Registered Member

I live in sachse, small town about 10 miles east of dallas. Any one in this arealet me know im gona need some people to go wheelin with

16. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my truck is for sale, and it just happens to be in Jacksboro TX, my buddy is supposed to be painting it.

interested??

17. nickb

nickb Registered Member

yah, send pics and info to nfnick07@yahoo.com

18. nickb

nickb Registered Member

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd pass, it doesn't have FI. If it has the stock 305 V8... that ain't a very good engine. If someone swapped a 350 (or more!) into it, it'd be a better deal. I'd still hold out for a '87+ for the FI...

j

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'd surly pass on that truck for $3375 seems too high to me.. Unless it has a rebuilt 350 engine and tranny. The automatic 700R4 in the eariler pre 88 K5 are really bad trannys. If it hasn't been rebuilt It is prolly ready to go BOOM! Also it Prolly has one of those POS electronically controled Carbs which can be a real headache and bad MPG. The only thing that is attractive about that truck is the soft top. Might be worth looking at and checking out tho i would offer $2500
    If you want to spend 3K plus $ on a K5 you might as well get the best. Get a 89 or newer.You get TBI fuel injection = Better performance and MPG, 89s had all the auto trany upgrades needed to make the 700R4 a stronger tranny plus Stronger 30 spline axles, Np 241 Xfercase, and last but not least a Cooler looking grille :cool: