Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips on engine swaps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Jul 27, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Howdy! Does anyone have any tips/experience using a cherry-picker to do an engine swap on a lifted Blazer. I've used them before but that was on a Camaro (a LOT lower). My truck has 4" of lift plus 33's, I'm affraid the hoist won't lift enough. I'd like to avoid havinf to pull the front clip. Thanks!!!!!

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

let the air out of the tire some if you need to !

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. Nike

Nike Registered Member

I doubt you will have any problems with the cherry picker, most of them have quite a lot of travel. You might want to get your steel tape measure out and do some measuring though, and don't forget you can let the air out of your tires, take the wheels off, and use other good old Yopsnkee ingenuity .

Blue

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

My blazer is lifted 8" with 35's, (it'll get a little shorter when i find my sawzall) and i got the the engine over the front, i let all the air out of the tires, and used i think two links on the chain so that when the hoist was up all the way it just barely made it over the core support. if i did it that high, you should be able to get yours in/out, btw i've done camaros too, your right alot shorter, but not quite as easy as the huge engine compartment of a Blazer.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. Nike

Nike Registered Member

I doubt you will have any problems with the cherry picker, most of them have quite a lot of travel. You might want to get your steel tape measure out and do some measuring though, and don't forget you can let the air out of your tires, take the wheels off, and use other good old Yankee ingenuity. Thanks Nike Thompson

Blue

6. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

You can also pick up a little extra distance by using a manifold plate instead of running chains to the front and rear of the heads. This allows you to use as little as one link on the main chain. Most manifold plates have several different holes to connect the cherry picker to, so you have a few different angles to work with on the removal or install.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Just did the engine on my 6" lifted '90 Suburban. Took off the 35s and installed some 235x85s. The trick is to figure the exact measurement to max out the hoist and have the engine clear the core support, while allowing the engine to be put on the ground, or an engine stand. Then do the same thing in reverse. Good luck!

ken

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I just finished an engine swap on my Blazer with 4" lift and 33" tires as well. The cherry picker will work just fine, I aired down the tires a little bit and took off the hood. Removing the hood is a good idea since you won't have to worry about it in the way and you won't ding it up. It's easy to re-install if you pay close attention to where the hinges are before you take it off. Also, make sure you have the picker set up properly or it could tip if you get too much out in front of it. The last thing you need is to see it falling forward when you start to lower it in and the weight shifts more to the front. I got lucky because mine dropped right onto the motor mounts on the first try. Good luck and think things over before you start each step and you'll be fine. I was nervous since this was my first swap, but everything went well, I just took my time.

Post pics when you're done and tell us how it went.

L8r,

.Riz.