Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips on how to sell your rigs???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

what are some good tips on how to sell your rig? i have a 78' ford and a 83' blazer that i am trying to get rid of, my parents are selling there house soon and i will no longer have a place to store 4 of my 5 rigs, i am going to keep my project car and the mud truck but the other two have to go. i have advertised them here for a couple months in the 4sale section, and in the classified papers here locally. i am not asking outrageous prices for either, but the bank owns both of these and i can only go so low or they wont release them, anyone have any tips at all? is there something i am overlooking? thanks

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I wonder if it is your location. I would buy it if it was closer. Have you tried ebay? It seems to me that the truck would bring 3k easy on ebay.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That is really surprising. Seems like every time I drive mine I have someone come up to me wanting to buy it.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

bring 'em over to portland and park them on a busy road and have one of us portlanders sell it for ya. :)

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

take them apart and sell the parts. youll prolly get twice as much.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If you put them on ebay, you might want to take some time to clean them up, and try to take some real nice pics.

7. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

Clean them. Detail, detail, detail. Clean everything; inside, outside, underneath, engine, doorjambs. Wipe everything down that is rubber or plastic. The cleaner it is the easier it is to sell. I have always got top dollar for my vehicles and people always comment on how clean everything is. I guy I know at work makes extra money buying and selling vehicles and pretty much all he does is clean them up real good.

Brent

8. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

i dont even have to drive mine, ppl come into the drive when they see them, have ot beat them off with a stick

out in oregon i know theres billions of trucks, that may be the problem

bank owns them, that sucks

you could try craigslist, its free and lots of ppl look on there, i just sold two cars on there, like a charm, on the chicago one

good luck

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good Luck..

I've had my 79 C10 2wd up for sale for months..no one here wants an antique truck anymore I guess(except ME!)...its not in bad shape either,for a truck thats been in MA all its life--it was owned by a landscaper,and he garaged it every winter,and used 4x4's to plow during the winter,so it has very little rot compared to what you'd normally see on a 79..the interior is a little shabby,I think a dog chewed the dash pad up over the speedo cluster,and its duct taped up..not very pretty..

I'd think a 90% rust free truck would sell fairly quickly here,and for a decent price..I'd expect to pay 1500 bucks or more for such a truck with a decent "shell"..I have been offered 500 for it,but I need to get more than that..you cannot buy a running roadworthy vehicle here for much less than a thousand bucks..mine has a decent running 1986 305 motor,and "only" 118,000 original miles..

Since there are so many new car dealerships within a half mile of my house,there is a glut of used cars and trucks being "wholesaled" off their lots..many vehicles that get traded in go directly to the auction,or the crusher..or to anyone with "conections" to the wholesale manager at the dealerships..I've seen 90's 4x4 GM trucks sell for 500 or less a good many times..makes it tough to sell a 79 2wd for any kind of decent money..

All I can say is to advertise it in magazines that deal in antique vehicles,like Hemmings Motor News,the "Want Ad" books ,etc--or take them to a swap meet or truck/car shows and put a for sale sign on them....I've had more inquiries from an ad on "Craigslist" than any other place I listed it for sale..I don't like E-bay,dont want to deal with nigerians or someone 3000 miles away ..

Cleaning the vehicles up does help sell them,but they have to run good and be dependable too.(unless your selling a "project" vehicle)...people here want a lifetime warranty on a 500 dollar vehicle too,or take advantage of someone selling off a vehicle in nice shape by offering less than half of its worth,knowing the owner is hard up for cash,or must get rid of them due to storage,etc..lots of that going on here lately...

I hate selling trucks,especially when good ones come along so infrequently here,and the new owners nearly always call back a few weeks later crying about something THEY broke beating on it,and expect YOU to pay for it,fix it,or even take it back,thanks to our "lemon" laws here..I'd almost rather scrap them, than deal with that BS..

Good Luck selling your trucks..there is an ass for every seat they say..I guess the one that should be driving my truck is far away from here..:doah: :crazy: