Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tips on installing warn premium hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, Sep 16, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I've got an 85 chevy 3/4 4x4. I think i destroyed my auto hubs this weekend. It would stay in 4wd even when it said I was in 2hi. After about 60 miles of driving the hubs got so hot I could barely touch them. I wheeled with it for a few hours then they started to pop in and out of 4wd and then finally neither front wheel was spinning. I bought a set of warn premium hubs and plan on installing them tonight. Do I have to get a conversion kit or do they just bolt right up?

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If I remember correctly, your auto hub axle shafts should have two machined grooves on the splined outer stub shaft. You will want to use the outer groove to install the snap ring on. Everything else is self explanitory. Remove the old parts - check your wheel bearing retaining nuts while you are at it. Install the Warn Premium inner portion. Install the slinky looking retainer ring into the groove in your hub. Then install the snap ring and finally install the outer cap. Simple. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I figured it would be very easy. I just wanted to make sure I had everything I needed before taking everything apart.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

One more thing, don't pack the hubs full with grease, they won't work well like that. I think it also says so in the instructions. Actually I think they come with the grease they need already on them.