Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tips on reconditioning my center console

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Dec 5, 2002.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Any tips on how to strip the old paint off the console.The previous owner painted it and it's quite thick in areas covering the fake grain as well as being scrached up.
    How do I strip the old paint off and not harm the fiberglass? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You've got me stumped on that one.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My advice for almost everything is Brakeleen and toothbrushes, but that may affect the fiberglass too. Maybe there's a way to test a little spot underneath?

It's probably going to be one of those time-consuming projects where no solvent works particularly well....so you just sit with it in front of the TV cleaning for hours and hours.

You could always post up for another one in "Wanted"...I have two for mine (one with the square openings, one with round), and I think I only paid about $25 each. Unless yours is totally "cherry" in every other way, it might still be a faster way to go. Plus you can steal other parts you might need (hinges, trim parts, etc)

Good Luck BOB!

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Greg,I might try that if no one comes up with any tips.Mines in "alright" condition.The bottom has a pretty good crack in it but the surfaces that actually show are pretty good,minus a few good sized scratches.
    I'm looking for the cup holder part too.Mine is cracked.I repaired it once already.
    I may try the brake cleaner on the "belly of the beast", as you mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

You can try - Simple Green. It MIGHT work... might not - I am thinking not.

Next might be some of the "GREEN" Tarnish and stain removers found in most hardware stores.

Then try some JASCO stain and tarnish remover... check your brand varnish remover against some lesser visible plastic first.

If it was me, I would probably knock the bulk down with Lacquer than try the others in the above order.

All - in - all, it might be easier/cheaper to find a decent used one - OOPS I see you have a first gen.

Good luck.

5. I'm thinking boiling it in a water/vinegar solution (in a really large pot of course /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) and using a toothbrush might work. Or a heat gun on a low setting witha toothbrush. Of course it'll depend on what type of paint is on there.

Another thought, doesn't brake fluid remove paint? Don't know how fiberglass holds up to it though.
    If all else fails, contact your local fiberglass/boat repair shop and see if they have some sort of paint remover.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Oven cleaner also strips paint off but again I don't know how it reacts with the fiber glass.

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would run by a Paint shop and show them what you have and see what they say. Not knowing what kind of paint was used. I would talk to the experts about it. May want to just cover it in vinal and not have to work on it as much. And start looking for another one if you don't like the vinal. I don't remember much about the pre-73 since I haven't worked on them much. Good luck!!!!

8. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

If all else fails, try some "aircraft paint stripper" from Wal-Mart. Try it on an inconspicuous area first though. It might melt the plastic/fiberglass like acetone does to a styro foam cup.

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what it was painted with.It might be they used the proper dye or just some reg. old spray paint.It's on there pretty good.It's not as if it's flaking off or anything.Looks like it was orig. blue in color.
    I'll try all the suggestions and let you know what works...if any do work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Anyone have a nice console for sale?
    I'm looking for one like this with the cup holders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Bob, do yourself a favor and ditch the stocker and go with a Tuffy security console. Obviously not as cheap as a couple cans of spray paint but a lot more useful, durable, etc. I did the standard refinish job on the console when I first got my truck and it looked really good for about 2 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Not worth the effort in my opinion. The Tuffy is prolly in the top 5 best mods I've done to the truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I know its prolly not the answer you were looking for but if possible ($$$) I highly recommend Tuffy. BTW IIRC the stock console is an injection molded plastic, maybe with fibreglass reinforcement. Most peelers /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I mean strippers should be OK.

James

11. cool2see

cool2see Registered Member

I took mine all apart and lightly sanded the bad spots and got some Duplicolor undercoating, kinda like rhino lining, and sprayed it all, and it works great, if I get a scratch or something, I just shoot a lil more on it and looks like new.

12. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Well last night I went to it on the console and the results are in.
    1st I tried Simple Green-it didn't work at all.

2nd was brake fluid.I saturated a paper towel and laid it on the surface for about 1/2hr.-It worked on the black (top layer) paint.But didn't do much on the factory applied blue color.

3rd was some denatured alcohol(whoo that stuff stinks!)Again I saturated a paper towel and laid it on the consol surface but only for about 5 minutes as the denatured alcohol evaporates pretty quickly.-It too worked well on the top black layer but only had marginal results on the factory applied layer.

4th I tried some brake cleaner(talk about stinkin,I should have tried this one outside!)The best results of all methods I tried.I just sprayed it on then rubbed it off with a paper towel.-It got both layers of paint off easily and didn't mar or harm the base layer or any of the fake grain.

It will prob. take about 10 cans to do the whole console but I think it should come out o.k.I'll take pic's when I have it done.
    Those listed are the only one's I tried as that's all I had on hand.The hardware store wasn't open at midnight when I was attempting this. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Thanks for all the suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. I know this info will come in handy one day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ...*stored for later use*

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I got a couple other tips from the 67-72 chevy truck board.

One guy uses arosol aircraft paint remover -stripper (it's available at wal-marts) & a stiff brush.
    He then uses a Walmart supplied plastic & auto interior dye to paint it with.

Another guy said to use Easy-Off oven cleaner but not to leave it on too long(only about an hour).Apparently the over cleaner tip was in a model builder magazine so I geuss it works.I havn't the balls to try it though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Try acetone. It will remove spray paint easily and remove most anything the longer it soaks. Evaportates very quickly and has strong odor, but works. You can also use it to prep/degrease any surface before repainting. I use it all the time on interior and exterior pieces that I paint. Easy do it your selfer and cheap.

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

try one gallon of carb cleaner, by the time your done you wont know what a console is so ya dont care if it turns out like crap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif