Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tips on removing door's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Feb 9, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Tips on removing door\'s

I will be taking off my driverside door tomorrow (hopefully) on my 84K5 to make a welding repair. I have power window's and power lock's. Is there any helpful hint's you guy's/gal's know about on removing the door? I have another person helping me,but we both are novice's on doing this. Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: Tips on removing door\'s

Call around some tool rental places have door jacks it's basicly like a floorjack with a cradel for the door and it's adjustable for tilt.
    Corey 78K5

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Learn from my mistake make sure you scribe a line where the hinges are that way you dont have to try and line it up again ,I would make it easier by taking off the fender too much easier to get the door on and off in the same spot that it was but it can be done with the fender on just harder later and good luck mike

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Also try not to drop the bolt into the fender area you won't get it out if you have a/c I would take the vent on the lower left side and the vent tube out from under the dash it makes it much easier to get to that dam bolt (I forgot the size socket but you will need at least a 6" extension and steady hands remember don't drop it) Or you could just take it off at the hinges (know that I think about it) much easier and just still mark the door where the hinges are ........

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cross your fingers that your friend is double jointed. The PW motor and PDL plugs are difficult to remove because you can't see what part of the plug to squeeze to release. You'll have to fish the door harness out through the door...

I'd unbolt the door from the hinges rather than the hinges from the body...it's way easier. A door jack would be a big help if you can find one to rent...if not it's still a doable job with two people.

Someone already mentioned it...scribe some lines around the hinges before you turn a single bolt! I used a ballpoint pen before...but obviously that only works on light colored trucks!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Thanks for the info guy's... Look's like a project that you think is easy,but takes all day to do!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>