Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tips on these springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudbogger, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

100_0774.jpg

100_0773.jpg

100_0775.jpg give me some tips on these springs, what should i do to make them flex better, im thinkin of taken the two bottom leafs out, they measure 48 1/2 inches eye to eye but ill just have to check my shackle angle, they are rear springs out of a 1 t0n dually, should i take a grinder to all the tips and smooth them out? any other opinions just let me know, taken off those clamps too.

100_0774.jpg

100_0773.jpg

100_0775.jpg

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

How old are they :eek1: :eek1: ???

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tie a rope to them and use them as an anchor.

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I would take them apart and clean them up. Follow that by a coat of durable paint, new sliders (the plastic stuff between the springs) and new poly bushings should get the most out of those springs. Just clean them up well and look for cracks.

6. 85mudbogger

i was thinkin of a teflon roll, took em apart and no cracks, yes they are old but how old are yours, these are off a 78 dually that burnt from faulty wiring and yes they will get new bushing, how many leafs should i ditch, i need 6 inches of lift to match the rear, these are goin on an 85 long bed, keep in mind mud boggin 99.9 percent of the time, just keep on laughn boys, i asked for your tips, i didnt ask what i should use for my boat anchor:mad: i could use your rig for that:haha: :haha: :haha: if you seen the springs i have on there now you would know why i want these instead, now i do have 2 sets of 52s but to get the lift i need which is im hopin the front will sit a little higher than the rear, should i use the 52s and just drop my perches down to get the desired lift:confused: , please give me your opinion and not laugh but help:doah:

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what kind of truck did they come off of? was it a chevy? cause I thought the 1-ton chevys had 56" rear springs.

I say you clean em up and try running them like they are. If you're mud boggin you really dont need that much flex but if you want more try removing 1 leaf at a time till you get the desired height and flex.

8. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

you will only get 3-4" with 52's. What size tire are you running? You would be better off to give me all your 52"ers and buy yourself some heavy duty lift boat anchors:haha::haha:for mud boggin. You could use 52"ers, 1" zero rate, and a small body lift.

BTW, where you from in MO?

9. 85mudbogger

i am runnin 38.5 hawgs and my rear springs are around 6 inches and i have a 3 inch body lift, i said if i run 52s i would build some drop down perches to get the lift i need which would be about 3 inches lower because i want the front like an inch or 2 above the rear and yeah i mud bog but theres alot of times that the right suspension would get me out of some holes, its good to have all 4s on the ground at all times not 3 or 2, less traction, i think im ditchen those springs above and optin for the 52s, i have one set that has 4 leafs and one with 3(2wd shortbed) which of these, ill modify the rest to get my lift, it never sees road, ill take some pics in the daylight tomorrow of truck so you can get a better perception at what im wanting, thanks for your help just doin my research so i can try and do it right the first time lol:bow:
    CK5 ROCKS