Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tips to staying cool in the heat of summer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jul 20, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

heres a few basic tips everyone should know for when its really damned hot out, like its gonna be today(callking for 92 but will be 94 or 96 im sure heh)others could add more tips/info that they know is true and will help keep ya cool

drink fluids at all times, not only when you are thirsty,
    stay indoors as much as possible
    eat small meals, digesting food generates heat
    ive not been eating NEARLY as much food as i do like in fall winter spring etc, so much less lately that now im down to 130 something and im NEVER tha low, normally im always up to 145, give ot take a pound, no matter how much i can make myself eat, and i eat alot, and if i dont then im gonna lose weight(like lately for example and for i dunno how long now since its been summer time heh) and be even more of a bean pole heh, i need to work out alot, but never have time to, hum

plus in the heat i have hard time eating even with stomach growling away, so thats another reason why,,

you think you can eat a ton but when you go for it it just doesnt happen after only a couple or few bites, it just cant be done, its crazy, :doah:

heh

i LOVE the heat, especially DRY HOT blazin heat

screw rain and crap, especially in summer, it just makes it ten times worse when it does, I HATE RAIN(well and winter and snow too, boooo )!

good luck :P

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ya my biggest thing is keeping GOOD fluids in you. dont drink coke, tea, coffee and expect yourself to stay hydrated.

sugary stuff will kill ya too if you spend a lot of time outside.

i work at discount tire and lately its been 95-99 in the shop so ive been drinkin about a gallon during one of my shifts.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

When I was running const. crews in the summer, I had a simple rule of thumb for my guys: If you ain't peeing every 1/2 hour, not enough water intake. Never lost a guy due to heat stroke/exhaustion.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

right, hydration is the biggest key, IMHO

for real

i hate water to death but damn im drinking it and have been for a while now since its been damned hot and DAMNED dry no rain cept like three maybe four times this whole year,

VERY screwed up year, normally is rainy like 3 or 4 days a week, or more,

im loving it :D

bring the hot and dry on, bring it back, keep it coming :D never want to see snow ice and winter again, ever ! :bow:

heh :haha:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hey all

last night at work,m i found out the ultimate way to help stay cool ! other than drinkign tons of water

what you do is:

go to your nearest cold water sink

turn it on full blast, dunk your head under it

then go into the big walk in freezer

stand in there for a little while

come out all icy and cold and looking like you got fried but its cool.. literally :D

my coworkers(all women) think its funny :D

i think its cool... literally

and they are calling for upper 90s for at least a week longer and 100% rel humidity every morning down to 50% towards end of day

downright miserable everyone is pissy but hey i can help them laugh a little at least and i stay cooler too

it works, try it sometime :D its wierd having frozen hair sticking up and stuff :D
    :p:

yes the world hath made me howeth i am, its too late for me, i dont lost it a while back ago,

save yourself now before its too late

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Water is pretty much the bomb....

I hate humidity, but I gotta say I hate dry heat too... I just can't win...

So far it hasn't been too bad around here, really hot and dry, but it's been raining a lot more than normal... Usually it's just hot and dry all summer, and I'm like the nosebleed KING in summer. I haven't had the humidifier on once this summer :D :D :D :D

But one of these summers I'm probably just going to bleed to death...

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

While you're out on the trail throw a couple of hand towels in the ice chest and wrap it around your neck. Exchange for the cool one as necessary.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

They make these wonderful devices called "air conditioners". Using fans, radiators, a refrigerant and air they take heat out of the air on 1 side and put it out the otherside. The end result is a cool room/building. Check em out! :waytogo: ;)

What I do when it's hot is drink lots of water, take A/C breaks every 1/2 hour to hour, and when it's REALLY hot I just wait til later in the day when it's cooler to finish what I'm doing. Example - it's supposed to be 102 today and I have to mow the lawn. I'll probably wait til about 8-9pm cuz there's still light, but it'll be much cooler than at 4 or 5 pm.