Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tips/tricks for passing smog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im gonna help my buddy to a tuneup on his truck before he gets it smogged. its a 96 1/2t chevy w/ a 305. 180k on the engine.

im thinking oil change, plugs,air filter. what weight of oil would be best? would a thicker oil be better for emissions? 10-30, 10-40?

fill with 87 or 91? i think the cheap stuff would be better since it burns more completely in a stocker. opinions?

any snake oils for the fuel to help pass? i seem to remember hearing someone on here using a fuel additive with good results. anything else i should do?

2. Cove-Rider

Cove-Rider Registered Member

also i would replace your cap and rotor to ensure that all of your fuel is being burned. also some oil additive is a good idea when changing the oil because it will make the oil stick to things much better and do a better lubricating job. also i would take it to a shop and have them test it first so you know how it will do before going to the state place. does yer truck have all the emmisions control stuff still on it?

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

my brother says go to santa ana! lol guess that wont work for you!

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Last I smogged my Cad "gross Poluter" the tech. said you're allowed 4* plus or minus from spec. on timing; 2* retard??? Also check search.

5. AV8

AV8 Registered Member

Someone told me once you can add a small amount of alcohol to your gas. Don't know if it works or not.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

it has all the emissions stuff on it. im fairly confident that it will pass w/ a tuneup, but a lil insurance never hurts. anyone ever use one of those "pass smog" fuel additives? if so, which one?

truck will probly be smogged in cypress where he lives. santa ana is good to get off easy w/ the visual inspection(pesky CARB stickers), but all the sniffers are the same. his truck is all stock so it should have no problem with the visual.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

my brother just thinks money talks in Santa Ana, he took his cats off his 05 ram, and says when its time to smog it he'll just slip the guy some $. I dont know if it'll work or not, but he's hoping on it

8. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Have it checked first to see if it will pass before you have them run the test.

9. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

just run it all on alcohol see the look on his face wen he sees that v8 have better emissions this his honda civic hehe

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I thought new stuff is exempt for the first five or three years?

11. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I was told to run it with one tank of highgrade gas and then fillup again with high grade when doing emmisions cant confirm that it works but it has been told to me by many sources.

12. Cove-Rider

the fuel additives are just an almost pure alcohol substances that just burns cleaner than regular gasoline. it wouldnt hurt to try it although they do make your vehicle sound like its running crappy it wont have any emmisions.

i have an 85 blazer with no emmisions control on it cause the past ownr took it off and i am trying to also pass emmisions. im in the process of doing an oil change and putting some oil additive in as well as the cap and rotor new plugs new hosing every where probably gonna use some of that "no smog" gas stuff and im tryin to find any air leaks because those can boost up your hydrocarbons. my hydrocarbons were 1200 when i bought it which is 6 times the aloud amount so hopefully i can get her to pass otherwise im gonna swap in the 350 i have for it and hope that that passes the test. o and im also buying a new CAT for it and one that doesnt use the air pump cause i dont have one.

so i am in the same situtation just much more diffcult:p: :o :crazy:

13. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

In illinois for 96 and newer i think all they do is plug the scanner into the OBDII port and check for codes, i would assume cali is different tho...You should get three chances to pass so just replace the oil plugs filters what not and just get it tested, should pass without a problem.

14. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

We don't have any smog tests at all in thinly populated Nebraska, but having lived in CA and NY, I do sympathize with people living in States that jam a sniffer up your tailpipe.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Alkeeholl..!

I use 3 or 4 bottles of Isipropanol "Dry-Gas" to a 1/4 tank of gas just before going for my emission test,and take it for a 15 minute blast down the highway before getting it tested..getting the motor up to temp,and KEEPING it there is critical..if you have to sit idling in the parking lot waiting to get in the inspection bay,your chances of failing increase greatly,if its running on the borderline of failure..

But all of the trucks I've had,including a few 454's with toilet bowl Holley carbs that brought tears to your eyes when they idled,all passed well below the limits with the dry-gas and "carbon run" previous to being sniffed..only once did I fail for emissions,and the guy "fudged" the test by pulling the PVC valve out of the valve cover,and had me hold it at 950 rpm instead of 600 ..it passed easily then,and the next year with a Carter AFB,it passed with even lower readings..but flunked the safety for a faulty E-brake!:doah: ..

Yeah,it sucks living in a state where they shove "probes" up your tailpipe--literally!--among other things!:eek1: :rolleyes: ....nebraska sounds nice,but its too cold there for me,its bad enough here!..:crazy:

16. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

This coming from the guy who has his K5 in my garage. grumble grumble... :)

Run down the freeway and get them cats nice and hot!

17. Cove-Rider

shhhhhh its in hibernation for a moment thats all! it shall be out of your garage in no time and hopefully passing emmisions too! unlike somebody elses K5 in your garage hahahaha:p:

18. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Bribe them.
    When they used to have smog tests around here, and they don't any more, the three or 4 times I had to do it in the late eighties early ninties, they would ask you when you pulled up, after anaylyzing your rig anyway and noticing it's been highly modified, "So, do you really want it to pass?" There was basically 2 prices, the price on the sign, which they would just test, and the price they told you, about 50% more, and it would pass no matter what.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Not in CA, that kind of stuff will land you in jail.

20. Cove-Rider

same here! they are pretty strick about that kinda stuff