Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arizona71, May 1, 2003.

1. arizona71

arizona71 Registered Member

Bought my rig with 35x14.5x15 MT Thornbirds.Need replaceing looking for 14.5 size that is less agressive and not as loud on the highway. More street miles than off road.Off road is all desert terrain. Any advice?

2. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

don't know enough to help you myself, but using the "Search" tool up top might help...

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

BFG all terrains seem like theyd be the ticket for ya.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ProComp ATs have a 50k mile guarentee... I thought the PC MTs were pretty quiet on-road... I'll bet the ATs are damn near silent.

j

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know of many (if any) AT's that run that 14.5" width offhand. Maybe there are some, but I'm not sure. You may have to step down to a 12.5" in order to run something quieter. You said desert terrain...is this hard surface, or are you running dunes? If it's hard surface with light sand on top, I'd run a 12.5" BFG AT...but then again I've never driven any amount of sand before. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My BFG At's have done me great in AZ. You will have a hard time finding a tire in 14.5" that isn't a Swamper or Mickey T. Both are loud and wear quickly. I have run just about every type of terrain in AZ and the BFG AT's have been great. I haven't run pure sand dunes, but I don't think it would be a problem if you air down some. They don't perform well in the Mud, but AZ doesn't see alot of mud except up North.

I have heard very good things about the BFG MT (I have a set I am going to try when I get home) and also the Goodyear MTR. I would look into those and see what fits the budget and what fits your taste.

BFG AT's are very quite onroad. I recently put on BFG MT's and they are a fair amount louder then the AT's. Nothing a decent stereo wouldn't take care of, and I am sure it is better then your current Turdbirds.

7. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

The Mickey T. MTXs are great tires on road...very quiet and long lasting. If you air them down, they should do well in sand as well.

If you want something more aggressive, look at the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips. I had a set in 36x14.4 R15 and they were super quiet on road at 18psi. Their tread would be great in dirt/sand, but they are pricey.

For an all around tire, its hard to beat those darn BFG ATs.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What is this 35x14.5x15 MT Thornbirds ?
    I have heard of Super Sawmper Thornbirds
    But what is the MT ??

9. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I think that there is only one kind of thornbird. Someone just got mixed up with the name.

Trey

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

there is only one kind... the turdbird kind! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Its amazing that the same company that has given us such legendary tires as the Swamper, Bogger, SX, SSR and now the iroq also has the turdbird in its line up. Its like the red-headed-step-kid of the group or somethin...

j

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Some people only buy for looks, and Interco has a Marketing
    type in the sales dept. !