Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire advise please.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FSJeeper, Feb 6, 2002.

1. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to buy tires for my truck. I am running hummer rims with dually dana 60 hubs in the front, and a dually 14 bolt adapter in the back to make up for the 7.25" of backspacing these beadlock/runflat wheels have.

I was just going to run Hummer Goodyear 37" tires, but my project truck has now truned to a pretty much off road only vehicle. I want something more aggresive. Mud, loose dirt, and sand are my biggest obstacles.

How much wider than a stock tire can I run on the 8.75" hummer rim width safely?

Any advise on tires?

Was thinking about 38 x 16.5 Swamper SR's.

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you're going off road only and on a heavy truck like your m715, I'd shy away from the SSR. The compound is just too soft and the sidewalls are too weak.

I'd go with the TSL-SX. They have a killer sidewall bite, very tough walls, and very aggressive tread. The 38.5x14.5x16.5 would probably work pretty well for your truck, and it's a very aggressive pattern even for an SX. I know guys that run 15 or 16" wide on 8" rims. If the tires are taller, then the width issue becomes less and less of a problem.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if its off road only...and all about loose sand, dirt, mud etc...why not just get boggers?

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

4. FSJeeper

FSJeeper 1/2 ton status

My first thought was Boggers since I will not be using this as a dual purpose trucknow, but I will be on the roads some. I understand Boggers chunk pretty bad when driven on the road. I also understand that they are terrible for steep side hill running. But that is not the main reason they are not on the my list.

Boggers only come in either 11" wide (Too narrow) or 18 or 19" wide in the 38" + hieght range I want. Bottom line is my beadlock rims would be too narrow for the big boggers.

I am limited by the wdith of the beadlock rims I am using. The height of the tires is not an issue on my truck.

No doubt they would look the best. Looks like the 14.5x38.5x16.5" Swamper SX's are the best option so far.

Any other ideas?