Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire air down and inflation tool.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Apr 10, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I made an air down tool that cost practicly nothing.
    What I did was take a 1/4 npt ball valve, 2 1/4 npt t's 4 1/4npt hose ends , 2 clip on air chucks, 15' of air hose and an 1/8 npt shrader valve.
    This is how I put it together.
    Tee with the barbed hose ends on either side.
    the midlle port I screwed on another Tee, with the middle port having the shrader valve, the bottom of it has the ball valve threaded into it with a QD nipple on the end of that.
    I think i will put another tee in line with a gage in it.
    Then with the hose and the clip on air chucks you just open the ball valve and dump 2 tires at once, shut it and the pressure will equalize for both tires.
    Use the shrader valve to air them back up, or if the air hose doesn't have the air chuck permanantly fixed to the end you can also plug the air line into the bottom of the ball valve, open it and fill the tires that way.
    No pics either, I might take some but it would be awile before I could get them devoloped.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Ron, I remember you said something about this on the run. I would be interested in seeing it at the meeting.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I can't believe that I forgot to bring that.
    I had to resort to the ol find a twig and let it out LOL
    I should be at the meeting, if so I will bring it and maybe one of our fellow members will shoot some pics with their handy dandy digi cam and post a pic.
    I have no idea what the actual cost is, I built it out of stuff in my junk drawer.
    The only things I had to buy was the clip on chucks.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I could take pics but i don't have a handy digi cam, I have old school film on a roll/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Is it ran off the a/c unit?
    twig or a rock is what I use,LOL.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

No not the a/c one. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that one. The r-12 sevice port is too big.
    But on alot of the air pushers that I work on they have a shrader valve on the govenor that you can air up the tanks if the engine is unable to run.
    Walla I just plumbed that one into the system.
    Kinda funny I was putting it all together on my break and everone was going what the hell are ya making?
    The wheelers didn't even ask, I seen em diggin in their junk drawes LOL
    If I wanted to get real fancy I could get the crimp fittings and do away with the hose clamps.
    But that would cost money LOL
    What I need to do is a timed test of an air down and air up.
    It has got to be faster than one tire at a time.
    Not only that but ya can get both tires the same psi, which is essential for those running a locked dif.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Bring it to the meeting, I'd like to see it..........and I'll take a pic for ya. Sounds interesting.

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got a setup like this that I put on all 4 tires and hooks to my OBA. It's got it's own regulator so I can air all the tires up or down to the same pressure at the same time. It's not nearly as fast as pulling the cores for airing down, but it's really nice to set the regulator to 35psi and walk away when airing up! I don't have a digi cam either so no pics, sorry.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man I feel cheap..... I just cut the hose and valve of a can of fix-o-flat (don't ever use this stuff) and I snap that on the valve steam until I get to the right tire bulge (gauge) pressure.