Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire and Wheel questions (BS, fitment, etc .)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, May 26, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I am trying to figure out what size tires and wheels I want to put on my k5 but need some advice. Ok, first off I like the TSL SX's and I like the 38.5x14.50 size but you can only get them in a 16.5" rim size, I know the 16.5's are not as good as a 15or16 inch rim because of the lack of the groove that holds the tire in the wheel better. Do any of you guys run 16.5" rims and if so do you have any troubles with them at lower pressures? I am also wondering what would be the best backspacing, from what I have read in my searches it sounds like 4.5" backspacing is pretty good (will put the tires about 1/2" outside the fender from what I understand). Oh and im going to get black steel wheels, is there any manufactuer of them that would have the groove inside the wheel to hold the bead better? And my last question is how much cutting will I have to do to make these tires fit with 5"s of lift(I am adding a D60 though which from what I understand will gain me another 1" of lift and am going to add a zero rate in the rear so it will be more around 6"s). Thanks for any input.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

they do make a 38.5x14.50-15 sx. I just bought some
    [​IMG]
    As for the back spacing, I have a dana 60 and got 15x8 4.25" backspacing wheels. I had to grind the sh!t out of my calipers to make them fit. The tires stays tucked back in to the wheelwell, the whay I like. Don't have any pics of them mounted on the truck, still working on the build.

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pic, I love those tires! I did know about the 15" size but I am a little hessatant(sp?) about grinding the callipers that much, Is there any negative side affects to doing it? Oh and I am a little unclear about backspacing, would a lower number make it sit further in? Thanks!

4. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Ok I found the answer to my backspacing question already. Another tire I just remembered that I think looks cool and is available in a 38.5x14.50R16 is the maxxis creepy crawler, anyone run these or know anyone that does? How do they work? And where would be the cheapest place to get them? Thanks

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The option a friend of mine took was to get 15x8 wheels with 2.75" BS (tires are 42x15 TSLs). This allowed him to fit 15" rims on his front D60 with no grinding but the overall width is still about the same as if he had used 15x10 rims with the more typical 4+" BS. So far it has worked really good.

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

That is a good idea, I want a 14.5" wide tire though and I think an 8" wheel would be to skinny.
    How about the pitbull rocker? Anyone have any info on how these work?