Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire and wheel recommendations?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by furdaddy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

It's time for new tires and wheels on my 1974 Blazer. It's not lifted, and won't be anytime soon, but I would like to get the biggest tires I can without rubbing or cutting.

I live in Arizona, so mud is not a concern. I'll be driving mostly on gravel, rock, dust, and maybe some sand. I'm leaning toward ATs rather than MTs for better on-road performance.

I see on the Technical page that only up to 31x10.5 tires will fit on a stock truck, but from reading these boards it sounds like people are able to get bigger tires in there. Should I try a bigger size and see if it works on my truck? How willing are tire shops to put on bigger tires and let you bring 'em back if they rub?

Tires I'm considering are the BFG AT and the Yokohama Geolander +II. The Yokos are rated almost as well on tirerack.com, but cost 1/3 less than the BFGs. Any thoughts on these? Others I should look at?

Wheel-wise, I'm planning to go with 15" steel white spokes, but I'm not sure what width to get. I suppose that will depend on tire size. Any thoughts?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I live in mesa and ran 32's for a while on stock lift, worked great. If you want some white spokes PM me . I got a set of white spokes with bald tires I used temporarily, great paint need washed but look great. 50 bucks , you just need to by some center caps and I would get valve stems when you mount tires. These go for like 35 to 40 each I believe. These are perfect backspacing for stock truck with 31's or 32's . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hers a pic of rims: [​IMG]

3. furdaddy

Pauly, I grew up in Mesa, where abouts are you?

I'm interested in those wheels. What width are they? Any rust or dings? What width 32s did you run without a lift?

Any thoughts on good tires for our desert backyard?

4. pauly383

I ran a set of used sport kings in 32 inch. Got them with 90 percent tread and got almost 20,000 out of em. I have also used used BFG's. I would go agressive AT or any MT tire. Airing down makes a difference on the trail. These rims are 15 x 8 so they would work all the way up to 33's for sure , and 35's if want to keep rim off rocks. I am at Broadway and Ellsworth (keep moving out farther from town).Heres a pic of a k5 on 32's for ya: [​IMG]

5. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i'm pretty sure you can fit 33's comfortably on a stock rig.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran 32's on stock height for years. I also ran 32's on 2.5" lift.

As long as your sway bar is connected 32's and stock is ok. Could probably get away with 33's.

If you disconnect the sway bar then 32's are going to rub and 33's will too. You can probably get away with most stuff if you do some slight body work with a small sledge hammer. Just bend the lips back so the tires don't catch as much.

Cutting fenders is alot easier and can look very clean as long as you do it right.

Harley

7. furdaddy

Great info guys, thanks!

What about width? How wide a tire can I fit? Do I want to go as wide as possible?

8. pauly383

31-33 on 15X8 is ok. Some prefer 15 x 10 with 33's , but I like how much protection the bead gets with 15x8. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

tire size does but doesn't matter.....I know people that run 39.5 x 13.5 x 16 on 6.75 wide rims and have never had problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Trim those fenders and get some Creepy Crawlers. Well, mayby not, it's your truck and your money, get what you like.

11. pauly383

I like those tires /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

15x8" rims hold the tire on the beads better so you have to worry less about popping a bead when you air down to offroad.

I ran BFG AT's 32x11.5x15's. There true height is closer to 31" though. Good tires. I still have them but they have been transplanted onto my Jeep.

Harley

13. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

I squeezed 33's under my stock height 77. As soon as I drove out of Discount Tire, the fender trim tore off. After I removed the rest of it, I had no problems with rubbing at all.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. furdaddy

[ QUOTE ]
    I squeezed 33's under my stock height 77. As soon as I drove out of Discount Tire, the fender trim tore off. After I removed the rest of it, I had no problems with rubbing at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, like the chrome around the wheel well? Mine's the Custom model, so it doesn't have any. So, does that mean I won't have that problem?

15. pauly383

I think it depends on the condition of your springs whether 33's fit or not. BFG also makes a 33x10.50 which helps clear the fender edge a little better when wheel cranked and your stuffed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. pauly383

17. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

32x11.5x15 Wrangler AT/S <------
    if you think you can stuff some 33's in there checkout the ORD Garage Sale Page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. furdaddy

Thanks for the handy links and comments.

Since after much searching and reading I haven't heard anybody say they've had rubbing with the 33x10.5, I think that's what I'll go with. I don't really need the extra width since I'll be wheeling mostly in the desert (meaning no mudding to speak of, so I don't have to worry about floatation) right?

Last chance to save me from my ignorance . . .

Objections to BFG AT 33x10.5's? . . .

Is gearing going to be a problem moving from 31s to 33s(it's a '74 with an automatic, bone stock)?

[EDIT: Looking at the $40 per tire price difference between the 31s and the 33s, I'm having second thoughts. I get 1" better clearance in exchange for worse gearing, potential rubbing, an out of whack speedo, and being out an extra $160. That's not sounding like a good trade-off. Thoughts?]

19. pauly383

If your having second thoughts I can tell you this.I have no problems off road with large tires and highway gears with my little 305. I really cant use overdrive anymore below 65 mph, and my rpms in third at 55 is like only 1700. Until you get gears , lockers, and lift you will be fine. Just get the tires your most comfortable with for now and come wheel with us. You'll get to most of what we run, and can watch what you can't . Soon enough you'll get the itch to lift it and go bigger anyway, no way around it, CHEVYS do it to ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i would get 32x11.50x15 BFG A/T on a 15x8 wheel with about 4" backspacing.