Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire and wheel tech help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok here is the deal. My burb has them up pizza pan hub caps and I HATE THEM. Tires still have lots of miles on them.The are On factory rims that I think are 6.5 wide.
    I found a set of rims I like but the rim is 8 inches wide. The tires are 235 85 16 is that 8 inch rim too wide for that tire? These tires are wearing great but I hate to screw up the handling or cause the tires a problem since they have been on the narrow rim. E rating tires are EXPENSIVE and I can't justify replacing them right now.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Buy the rims you like. Just let them sit in a corner till you're ready too get new tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim--talked to my local tire shop (he's got over 30 years experience) and he said you could mount them up on the rim and they would wear even if you kept the air pressure low and consentient. The down fall of that ,of course, is you don't get to use the full weight carrying capacity of the "E" rated tires. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Which you need on your burb for towing duties. He recommended not to use that narrower of tire on a 8" wide rim.

Hope that helps.

Eric

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool steve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Grim--talked to my local tire shop (he's got over 30 years experience) and he said you could mount them up on the rim and they would wear even if you kept the air pressure low and consentient. The down fall of that ,of course, is you don't get to use the full weight carrying capacity of the "E" rated tires. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Which you need on your burb for towing duties. He recommended not to use that narrower of tire on a 8" wide rim.

Hope that helps.

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bummer. See that's my exact problem.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not only will lowering the air pressure effect load carryng.
    It will also knock your gas mileage down because of increased restance. If i rember right. Weren't you on some kind of a gas mileage quest?
    Keeping higher pressure in your tires helps gas mileage.