Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire/Axle/Lift question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boondock, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

I just bought an '86 K5 Blazer 4x4, and I am interested in putting on some 35" BFG Muds. Will my stock, 10 bolt front and back axle hold up? Also, how much of a body lift and or suspension lift is going to be optimal and affordable? Any product recomendations for mostly mudding and a little bit of crawling? My Naval Academy salary is minimal, so price is always an issue. Thanks for your help.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Atleast a 6 inch suspension lift.....

<font color=green> No machines are perfect!</font color=green>

3. Boondock

If I go with a 3" body lift, will a 4" suspension do the trick? What brands of lifts do you recommend for a comnination of good price and good quality? Also, is there going to be the need for any fender trimming? Thanks for the advice.

4. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i have a set of bfg mud ta,s on a 1\2 ton with a 4 inch lift it is holding up well the only fender mods were to rear of the front fenderwells this was minimul and could be accomplished with a hammer if need be

marcus

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

A 4" lift with fender trimming is the minimum. A 6" lift by it's self will acomplish the trick with no trimming. So a 4" lift with a 2" body lift will get the job done as a minimum. With the body lift you may need to change the coupling on the steering shaft and possibly the linkage for the clutch and/or the auto shift linkage. Not sure about this but it seems that when you change that angle, more stress will be placed on the flex joint. Flaming River make a replacement shaft for these (about $250). I put a 4" ProComp front and a Superlift in the rear (new springs all around, no blocks) plus a new steering arm and 4 shocks (running 33's). Cost was right at $850. Shop around at different dealers to see what they can come up with. Also, check the axle ratio. With 35's, may need a lower ratio (numerically higher).

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have an '85 with a 4" Tuff Country EZ ride lift and 35" BFG's. I thoght it was a great combo and had only minimal fender rubbing during 4 wheeling.

Go Army!

7. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

I have a 4" susplift with 35" tires. I had to trim the fenders. I just added a 3" body lift. Seems like the right way would have been to go with a 6" lift in the first place.
    Will the axles hold up?
    only if you let your girl drive it.
    Seriously, i've broken a few 12 bolts I dont know how a 10 bolt would fare.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Oh come AWWWWNNNNN 2-1/2" susp lift and mad Sawzall work to the fenders. Just depends on what you want to do with the truck. I've got a 4" lift and 36's but it takes a lot of sawzall work to do it. And my next set of tires will probably be 38x14.5x15 TSL SX's. I'll take the fenders off if I have to. haha.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

9. Boondock

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about the axles yet. Maybe upgrade to used 12 bolts. Most likely, I'll go with a 4" suspension lift, and a 3" body lift. Haven't decided on the brand yet. Perhaps a little fender trim if needed.

10. I would'nt go over a 2" body lift,the body to frame flex can reak havic on your body mounts.Good luck

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I like the minimum lift and trim the fenders option, mostly because I like to try and keep the center of gravity as low as possible. I run 36" TSL's with a 4" lift and some trimming. It doesn't look hacked and they don't hit. Most radial muds don't come near the advertised 35" anyways and fender trimming is minimal with a 4" lift. I'm not a big fan of body lifts, although if kept to 2" and under they can be an affordable way to gain some needed room for bigger tires. 35's are pushing it for 10 bolts, so depending on the way you drive or wheel you might get lots of practice fixing and replacing them. You might want to consider stepping up to 3/4 ton stuff now, before you've spent your budget on 10 bolt parts.
    Re-gearing is going to be inevitable with 35's, unless you want a gutless truck that eats tranny's [​IMG]
    Just my humble opinion.

Rene

[​IMG]