Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire balancing... powder stuff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 9, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey gang, I remember seeing in a wheelin mag a while back an article about wheel balancing where instead of weights on the rim, you add this powder looking stuff to the inside. Anyone know anything about this stuff? like how much it costs? how well it works? TIA,

J

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I think it was called Equal. Anyways, there is a place here in town that does semi tires and thats what they use. I talked to them about doing a set of 36" swampers and it was pretty pricey. I dont remember for sure, but just to balance them was about $60.

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah the stuff is called equal and it is a powder you put in the tire. It might be 60 bucks to have a shop do it for you but to do it yourself is alot cheaper. One of the pluse sides of equal is that there are no weights to knock off and the stuff lasts the life of the tire. You never have to balance it again.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running that stuff in my 38in swampers and it work well i have been happy with it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Someone on this site mentioned using a couple or three golf balls... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif anyone tried that?

Rene

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

There are two ways to get this stuff inside your tires. One is to throw the packet in there with the tire off the wheel (or at least the bead broke). The packet is designed to breakdown and the powder goes to work. The second way is to use a special "injection" tool and inject the powder via the valve stem. Only bad stuff I have heard is that sometimes, using the first method, the bag doesn't really break down or takes some time to do it. either way, you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to get moisture in the tire. Moisture and this powder is a BAD combo. The powder will soak it up and end up feeling like rocks in your tires!

$60 may sound like a lot, but for a one-time, lifetime balance I think it is pretty darn cheap! Hard to find a place that will balance oversized tires like these. And, if you want to do it right, you should always re-balance after everytime you air down. This will keep you from ever having to do it again. Period.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the powder seems to break up after a few good bumps

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you have acces to an air compressor then just whack that baby off there and just toss the bag in, then reseat the bead and away you go /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. jekbrown

hmmm... if its not sposed to get wet... what about using CO2 tanks to fill tires that have equal in them? I am gonna run a power-tank-like CO2 tank... but I wanted to run the equal in my tires. I know when you use co2 you get some water vapor going in the tire. Is moisture a problem just when you install the stuff and use it for a while... or will I have to worry about it till the end of time?

J

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

any compressed air will also have water vapour in it.
    I ran Equal for years and never had any trouble with moisture.
    the big rigs the stuff was designed for do not do anything out of SOP when they use the product

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

EQUAL can handle small amounts of moisture that invariably get pumped into one's tires at gas stations, etc. Above 140 degrees running temperatures, this minor moisture is actually forced outward into the porous lining of the tire and dissipates. Larger quantities of water, such as those one might pick up when inflating a tire from zero, can be a problem for EQUAL. Water doesn't mix with EQUAL, but it rolls around with it and causes an out-of-balance situation that EQUAL can't compensate for.

That is a direct quote from an article in Off Road Adventures magazine. You can borrow the zine and read the whole thing if you want.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. jekbrown

oh ok, thanks for the info guys. Last question, how much is the stuff? I never see it advertised anywhere. lol!

J

13. mudhog

you could also put an inline moisture trap on the air hose

14. jekbrown

inline wha? how much? where would I get one?

J

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IMI, the company that makes Equal, makes a filter called the Block that goes by the air chuck when you fill your tires. The palce that you order the Equal from should be able to order it for you, or you can order it directly from IMI. They will sell the Block, but not the Equal. </font color>

16. mudhog

you can get one from any place that sells air compressor stuff as for the price you can buy a cheep one or a spendy one lol but i would not get the cheepo one

17. jekbrown

lol, any idea on what qualifies as "cheepo" and "spendy"? I mean are we talking a $10 gizmo? a $50 gizmo? or...?

J

18. mudhog

you can spend anyware from $5 or $10 on up to a couple hundred /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

not a required item.
    most of the air you are pumping into the tire has already had the moisture released when it was compressed and it is in the bottom of the compressor reservior.
    the only air that hasnt is the air that is in the tire at 0psi

20. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I went to 4WP and got some of the Equal for my 38x15.5 Super Swamper Radials. They recommended 2 bags per tire. Is that enough? I think that was all they had left. So far I haven't been to impressed with it.