Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire carrier, good or bad.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jun 12, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Rear bumper tire carriers, are they good or bad. I don't really need the space that the spare tire takes up inside the truck, would there be any other good reason to put an outside tire carrier on the truck? I am going to fabricate a new rear bumper and I'm trying to decide if I should do a square tube bumper with tire carrier or a bumper similar to the one Steve is running on his K5 on the pictures from the Powerhouse Roadtrip . At this moment I'm leaning towards the style Steve is running.

Pro's / Con's - What do you guys think?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's all personal prefference. If you don't need the space leave it where it is. I'm tossing around putting the spare back inside on the wifes 79. THe spare carrier is hard for her to operate (she's 5ft and you got to fight with the carrier). If you have alot of trails wher you have to drop off tall ledges...it hanging out there is a problem. On a trail truck...Hay when you trash a tire that muddy tire stay's outside /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Get a roof rack and put it up there. I am going to pretty soon. The only problem is that if you have big tires they get heavy. I don't have a full sized spare yet because it will not fit in side, and a 31" spare and 33" reg tire don't work to well with duel lockers /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I 33 inch tire should fit in the stock location.