Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Carrier...Please help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jcronick, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jcronick

jcronick Newbie

Has anyone come across a tire carrier that mounts to the bumber (not body) and swings to allow for tail gate access???

I am having no luck with the 4x4 shops locally (Reno), and have exhausted catalog resources.

P.S.
    This would be for a '74 K5 Blazer with a 4" lift on 35's (hence the need to find alternate storage for the spare).

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know of any but why not use the factory inside one? I think i still have a complete one i would be willing to sell you. Just in case you're thinking a 35" tire won't fit, i had a 76 blazer with the back seat still installed and a 35" BFG inside on the factory carrier.

3. jcronick

jcronick Newbie

Really?!?!?

The stock carrier isnt in there (wasnt when I picked up the truck)...I didnt bother buying one, figuring it wouldnt fit....did the '76 you had have the type that put the tire flush to the seat or flush against the side/body????

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It mounts on the passenger side behind the wheel well.

5. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Dont want to hijack the thread but where do I get a rear external tire carrier (bumper mounted or not)? That would be killer!

6. jcronick

jcronick Newbie

Just Checked

Mine has the style that mounts behind the driver flush to the rear seat (not on passenger side flush to rear quarter panel)....I havent actually put one of my tires up into the rack to see if it will fudge in there but it sure doesnt look like it :(

On that 76 where was your spare....behind rear seat/driver side or on rear quarter panel/passenger side???

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

the back seat on a 73-75 is in a more rearward spot than the 76-up blazers....there isnt room for a 35 back there...been there tried that...

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

your not gonna find this in a catalog like you would for jeeps. no one mass produces these. there are a few places building custom bumpers with tire carriers (including my self :whistle: )

9. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Sweet do you have any pics of your creations?

10. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 jimmy and the 35X14 spare I carry will not fit in the stock position

It folds the rear seat ahead too much to be usefull , I have to lay it down in the back to make it fit.

11. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

Im going to make my own using a hinge found here http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm
    then using some 1"x1" tube im going to fab it to the stock bumper.
    I will end up making some reinf. behind the bumper to stabilize the hinge
    then fab some kind of latch. my bumper is painted so once im done a touch uip w/ the rattle can is all it will take. oh i have a stock swing away carrier up for grabs too.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Even a 29" tire would buckle the stock bumper for this kind of use. You would have to make a "subframe" for it that tied into the frame and attached to the stock bumper. Think about it, the mount has to be way out at the end of the bumper for the tailgate to open. The tire has to be mounted behind the truck, so it has a lot of leverage on the end of the bumper, especially bad when the carrier is swung open.

There used to be somebody making a setup that did just this. You removed the stock trim piece in front of the bumper the carrier hinge stuck up between the body and the stock bumper. However, it had about as much steel in it as a replacement bumper and cost about as much as a base level 4x4Iron tire carrier bumper. I forget who it was, but I think they are out of business.

Big83Chevy4x4 built me a custom bumper/tire carrier. I should have pics up by the weekend. It's basically a copy of this one from 4WDmetalworks:
    [​IMG]