Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire carrier question???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alf4444, Jul 5, 2005.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I started building my rear bumper tonight and I will be putting a swing away tire carrier on it. So of course I came here to search for some pics to get more Ideas... CK5 RULES :bow: I just have one question why are 95% of the swing aways I see mounting the spare on the pass. side or in the middle?? I'm planning to put mine on the driver side, if I look over my left sholder... clear, if I look over my right sholder...CLEAR. Seems with putting it on the pass. side your're making a huge blind spot :rolleyes: Lets hear some opinions on this

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I was going to do driver's side also, but I realized that on the driver's side you would be opening it into traffic if you were parked on the side of the road or street. That was a big deal for me because my carrier goes all the way across the width of the truck.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So make the tire carrier on the driver side but have the swing open to the passenger side. :ignore: :D

4. mrk5

Ah, but I thought of that too. However, I wanted to keep the tire as close to the hinge as possible. I didn't want to put too much leverage on the hinge by putting the tire so far away from it. :wink1:

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you're going to use the 1000 lb. trailer spindle i wouldn't worry about that.

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

speaking of which...What is everyone using for this? Part #'s?

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Make your own and use a couple of wheel bearings of some sort! :wink1:
    Just use a solid piece of bar with a lower shoulder where the bottom bearing will sit, drill and tap the top for a top bearing retainer and cut the bottom off of a bean tin to use as a top dust sheild!

tyre carrier 004 copy.JPG

tyre carrier 002 copy 8.JPG

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Here are a couple pics of the tire carrier that was on my 82 Jimmy("Emmett")... It was on the drivers side and I never ran into any problems with it being on that side. A friend is running this bumper on his 83 K5 now that is mostly on the street... Sorry about the crappy pic quality..

9. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I have a 35" mounted right in the middle of the rear window. I really havent had a problem with seeing out the rear. If the car is so close to me that I cant see it he should be able to read my bumpersticker, eg. " guns dont kill people...tailgating me does"

just my 2c
    gabe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mrk5

Sorry, I don't have part #'s for mine. I bought my hinge from a guy locally who had started but never finished a tire carrier for his jeepster.

He said he just bought the parts at a local trailer place. If you did some searching like over at Pirate4x4, you might be able to find some one that sells the hinge as a kit. 4x4 Iron did, but they are no longer in business.

11. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Spare tire

Check out the thread for "My new tire carrier bumper", he has some pics there too.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Check out: ROCKSTOMPER.COM Scott sells the carrier hinge for around $40..

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind that most likely the spindle is rated for that load applied in the same orientation a tire would be mounted on it.........cantilever a heavy subframe and spare tire off of it and you can reach that capacity pretty easily.

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's right, you absolutely should worry about the leverage of the tire. Not only will it be located laterally away from the hinge, but it will also stick out further backwards than the centerline of the bumper. Because of this, there are two forces trying to move the carrier: One downward and one twisting. When looking at these forces you can't just think about the hinge. The mounting point is at the very outside edge of the bumper, so it is a long ways from the frame. The bumper has to be stiff enough to avoid flex because even a small amount of flex can allow noticeable movement of the tire since the moment arm is so long.

The primary loads on the hinge are entirely different from the 1000lb. load that the hinge is rated for. I'm not questioning the Rockstomper hinge. On the contrary, I think it is plenty strong. What I am saying is that there are bigger problems to worry about.

15. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The bigger problem with the trailer spindle is the stress from always moving in a rocking motion. You absolutely must secure the furthest point of the carrier with some sort of a lock down. Mine used a spring loaded pin to keep it from opening up allowing the carrier to kind of float. This put alot of stress on it over the years. When Joe put the 39.5's on it the spindle did not last long. Of course it had carried a 35" for several years prior. I think the 39.5's were on it for about a year before it became a missile in traffic. :doah:

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    Here is my homemade swing out. I got the 8"x6' pice for the bumper from 4x4iron about two+ years ago. It was plazma cut and I welded it all together. The swing out was 100% me. I wanted to put the tire in the middle and kinda high for hill climbing clearance. I relized I can't see much out back anyway so decided to keep the spare outa harms way. It aslo will help if I ever roll in keeping my rig from laying flat on the ground.
    [​IMG]
    I used a simple eyebolt with a nut welded inside the tubeing before I caped the bumper. I must say I did a good job for a rookee fabracater. The swing out works nice and smooth. The Hig0Lift mount doubles as a stop for the gate so the spare doesn't hit the tailgate when closing. I added a CB ant. mount too.
    Oh and don't miss the bottle opener on the first pic too! :D Frizzelfry tought me that one :D :bow:
    [​IMG]
    This was to old one I had. It was made by Kayline years ago, it rattled and was mounted to both the body and bumper so not the best design, plus the max tire with gerrycan was a bald 33", I removed the gerrycan baskets to fit a 35"SSR....
    good luck