Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire carrier w/ stock bumper help!!! Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Apr 20, 2006.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Need a little help with my tire carrier...these are the best pics I have of it. It flexes and bounces quite a bit while driving and when wheeling and just take the tire off and throw it in back. I need to figure out why. It is bolted to the frame in two spots, but when I move it I can see the frame twist...I am assuming that this doesnt happen to other carriers that are attached to new bumpers. I am thinking that its maybe the new boxed bumper that is tieing the frame rails together and preventing them from flexing and the carrier going nuts. If I am not explaining myself good enough just let me know.
    I just need some help so I can get my spare back on.
    Thanks!
    Ignore the red
    [​IMG]
    Stuck:rolleyes:, but good shot of outside
    [​IMG]
    The latch...is bolted to the frame rail and hitch
    [​IMG]
    The main carrier mount behind the bumper
    [​IMG]

2. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

wow, another person from San Jo. i like your idea on using the stock bumper with a tire carrier. i was going to build something like that for my rig, but out of frustration and anger i cut my stock bumper with a sazawl last summer. as for your problem i have a couple questions, which way is it flexing and bouncing? side to side or foward and aft?

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Flexing "bouncing" foward and back, doesnt move up or down...just bounces foward and back.

4. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

5. richheezee

how are the bearings for the swingout? are they still in good condition? if the bearings are good and if the movement is towards and away from the tailgate i would weld a brace from the nearest point of the swingout to a bolted plate somewhere foward of the frame, maybe before the rear shackle hanger. i would do also something about tying the 2 frame rails together, maybe like flatbar across where that sheetmetal covers the gap between the bumper and body. i dunno.

6. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

The bearings are in great shape. I was thinking about tying the rails together, maybe a plate just above the full tank bolted in to both rails right next to my main mount. As fro the brace...cant piciture it...which part? Near the hinge to the frame?

7. richheezee

where are you located in San Jose? i have a tough time explaining things with words let alone typing what i am thinking with no pics. lmao. if anything i can pass by and help. but in the meantime i was thinking of some square 2x2 welded as close to the hinge as possible and then to the frame right in front of the rear shackle hanger. i went and took a look at the frame earlier and saw there was 3 existing holes with 1 slotted waiting to be utilized for some plate to be bolted up for the brace. but if you want to weld the brace straight up to the frame that would be up to you.

8. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I am in Cambpell, just behind Ebay...you? I would love for you to check it ou sometime, a second set of eyes and brain is always good!

9. richheezee

i am by oakridge mall. i can swing by next sunday. i'll send you an email if i can.

10. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

No can do sunday, prob wont be in town till late. Float me an email and we can figure something out...thanks in advance for helping out.