Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uberbeans, Apr 17, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

In the past I've seen a tire carrier that fits into your trailer hitch. Does anyone remeber who makes it? My new 37's won't fit in my stock location anymore and I don't want to weld onto my bumpers if I don't have to. Thanks. :D

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if someone does i want one!

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If you can find somebody with a welder, that's a pretty easy project. Pix of mine attached.

Used to be an outfit on Ebay selling them; theirs were hinged so as to flip the vertical part down, nicely made.

Some of the hitch companies make them, though they don't bend, so you'd have to pull the whole thing (UGH) to get into the back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hidden-hitch-spare-tire-rack-receiver-jeep-chevy-ford_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQitemZ8055525287QQrdZ1

OTOH, a 37" is gonna be challenging to fit back there without blocking visibility, and/or killing your exit angle.

Heck, just the receiver hitch is gonna kill the exit angle ... the one on my 'wheeler was like a furrow, could use it to dig trenches :haha: (The pix are my CUCV, with which I do *not* wheel :) )

-- A

tire-and-can-carrier-painted-4.jpg

tire-and-can-carrier-painted-10.JPG

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

My bumper is a custom tube with "wrap arounds" up and around the taillights. My receiver is higher than the typical location because it is actually part of the bumper. It's made for use with a winch so it's all very strong. I saw one that had the hinge for swing down. Maybe I can strengthen it? Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

PS-I can see how you would have trouble with "trenching" witht he jerry can mounts! I still think it looks great, though.