Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nmk5, Apr 23, 2002.

1. nmk5

nmk5 Registered Member

I need some pics or ideas on building a spare tire carrier and a spot for my hi lift and whatever. Any good ideas let me know. Also how hard is it to mount on stock bumper?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Near impossible on a stock bumper.Can't handle all the weight on the end of the bumper. SEC has one that mounts off the frame but retains the stock bumper. Link off the main CK5 page. I have not veiwed any pictures to see how they built the bracket. SEC is the only place I have seen make a carrier work with the stock bumper.
    SEC was closed for a while do to a Health problem and not sure if he's back up an running yet. He built some nice stuff.
    If you build a custom bumper you can use several different methods to make the hinge. Heims can bee made to work. There are a couple companies that make a heavy duty greasable hinge that for the most part use a 2000lb trailer axle stub with a custom machined mild Steel sleeve. Reasonably cheap and a great option for a sturdy mount. A few people have modified Trailer axle hub assemeblies that you can pick up for cheap at places like Northern. Be very carefull if you go that route. The hub is cast iron and unless your a good welder it's very tricky to get a good weld on it.
    Your other option is watch the For Sale adds. Keith had both a Valley factory style carrier that mounted off the body and would carry a Jerry can as well as a custom set up for sale.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

The one SEC does off of the frame retaining the stock bumper is nice. There is a series of pix of that somewhere. I'll see if I can locate that on my end here.

4. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

Check out rockstomper.com, they offer a hinge for about $40. they have a picture of a guy sitting on the spare tire with the rack swung out. Looks pretty strong to me.