Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Chains and Locking Diffs??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84silverK5, Dec 19, 2001.

1. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

If you have Chains on all fours, and locked up front and rear, would it be that bad?? i keep hearing stay away from lockers if your gonna be in the snow..... but i just use my blazer to go snowboarding, so im not in the snow alll that much

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit rear and ARB front, and I have never had any problems on the road in snow. Yes, it tends to sidestep when out on the trails when you are on a sidehill, but as long as you drive like you are supposed to (easy throttle, easy brakes, easy steering) on the highway, you will be fine. I have never had the chains on when locked up, so I can't comment on that. Just don't go throttling into the turns or making sudden throttle inputs and any car will be fine on snow...

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

"bad" is really relative, if you need chains, handling isn't going to be a huge concern, you need traction and digging ability, so locking it up great. It's just the same as slapping a larger more aggressive tire on it, if you can handle a couple inches larger tire and a more aggressive tread, you'll be OK.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

im talking aobut driving on the highway though going to
    Mt. Hood, so handling is somewhat of a concern, heh i dont want to be sliding into other cars, but i mean people say lockers are so bad in the snow, if you had chains on all fours then it wouldnt be a problem if you were locked at both ends... Right? Thx for info you guys

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Lockers are not that bad in the snow. I drive with a rear Detroit and I live in MI.. No big deal at all.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The theory behind lockers being bad in snow is from the idea that if one side looses traction, they will continue to spin at the same speed as the other side. This isnt terrible when going straight (its autally better for starting) but supposedly at speed, it is less stable. Not too much of a concern when going straight.

Turns however, is where it gets tricky. If the locker doesnt disengage (Limited slip is very tight), the rear end will have a propensity to over steer (the butt of your truck will slide out).

However, Ive found this not to be a big deal if you go slower (as you should) and found it to be even less of a deal when the snow is deep (the sidewalls of your tires then push against the snow).

Chains help tremendously, I use the Z type (not chains, but the wire type thingy ma gig), its much more friendly on the road, and it has so much more added grip, that I dont really even need 4wd.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I wonder how I'd fare in snow. We havent had any here since I upgraded my rig. I think 35" procomp MTs + Trutrac f/r + chains on all 4 would do purdy well. If it gets snowy this year....I guess we'll see. =)

please god, let us have a foot of snow in Vancouver, WA!!

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, they keep teasing us with the old 'might get snow on the valley floor' - and nothing but rain.

You want snow, take a drive up to Mt. Hood. Go out Hwy 26, make a left onto Lolo Pass road (by the Zigzag ranger station) and drive till you can't............won't take long. They are at like 130% of snowpack level.

Bring chains and be locked............FUN stuff.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>