Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire chains on front tires of a 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

Since more weight is on the front axle, should you put chains on the front tires of a 4 wheel drive?

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

this is why some people run lockers in the front before they get one for the rear.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

From what I've always been told and understand your front does most the work via-pulling. In the snow or icy conditions if you're not gonna be in 2wheel drive at all and you're only chaining 2 tires then chain up the front.

4. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

It works great. I always chain up my front before my rear. With chains in the front you get the weight advantage as well as better steering control.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

works great x2...!

I've used chains on all 4 wheels here more than once!..but most of the time the front wheels alone with chains did the trick when plowing heavy wet snow..thats where I'd put them first if I only had a pair..

I made other guys very jealous when my lowly 3/4 ton with skinny 8.75/16.5" tires could plow snow 2' deep without sliding sideways,right up to the top of the pile,while their "macho" 4x4's with big swampers were doing doughnuts, as soon as the plow touched snow!..

The weight of the plow and motor does make the front wheels do most of the "work"...ever try taking off fast in 2wd with a plow on your truck??..if the tar is wet,you can spin the tires in all 3 gears before it will think about moving!..I keep forgetting that when I pull out into traffic with my plow on!.. ..almost got t-boned a few times!:doah:

I use chains in the rear only if I have weight added to the bed,usually a load of sand...otherwise,they tear the hell out of my asphalt on the drivway,because the rear wheels spin too easily without a lot of weight in the bed..but I love chains,they make your truck into a bulldozer..:D

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

IMO chains in front first on a 4x4 always. putting them on the rear you still have crappy brakes and steering as mentioned above. only reason you wouldnt run chains on the front is if you didnt have clearance between your tires/fenders when turning.

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I've stuck them on back if I know I need some extra traction, but If I'm stuck or need to get traction now when I'm stopped, I put them on the front and always get out of what ever situation I'm in.

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Think a person could find chains for 11.00 x 16.00 Michelins?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sure!...

We sold chains for everything that had tires at the parts stores I worked at,anything from a VW to a Kenworth,front end loaders,tractors,etc...I'm sure they must make them for those michelins..bet they are the better part of 300 bucks a pair though!...:eek1: ..especially if they are the "lug reinforced" type..

I've made many sets of chains for my own for my trucks,ice racers,snow blowers,and lawn tractors,from 1/4" bulk chain I got at Home Depot for the "side" chains,and I scored a few bags of replacement "cross chains" from a guy I know who works at the DPW garage in a nearby town..they THROW AWAY all the stuff they dont use that year come spring!..if they dont spend all the money they were given for the "snow budget",they would get LESS the following year!..its only our tax money,what do they care...:surepal: ..I didn't mind,they lasted me over 10 years..:D

You must keep the chains TIGHT ,especially on the front wheels!...its easy to have one slide off the tire and snag a caliper or wrap around the axle tube and knuckle!..I don't go over 25 mph with chains on,and only run them when the roads are completely covered in snow,so they wont wear out in record time..you can only go about 30 miles before links start snapping if you drive when the roads have tar showing!..:doah: ..but you'll PASS everone thats stuck!:D

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've seen chains on a TRAM, which is a military-version John Deere 644E front-end loader... so yes, you should be able to find 'em. Like diesel4me said, they'll be expensive, but they're out there.

11. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

12. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I usually have all four chains on, if I am lazy the front are the ones I put on, my chains will fit 38 boggers, IMO the V bar chains are what work best for me. Yes they cost some money, but when it is 20 below and you are stuck in the middle of the woods they are priceless.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ever had the rear end of a vehicle come around on you? Chains in the rear if anywhere.

You lose some braking and steering obviously, but neither of those do you any good anyways if the rear end comes around.