Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Chains

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Nov 14, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for some input from all of you that do trail runs in snow. I'm working on organizing a run for the first weekend in January in northern Wisconsin...so hopefully there will be a good cover of snow on the trail. My problem is, I'm running open 3/4 ton diffs and 33" AT's. I plan on stepping up to 35's in the future, but am debating getting a pair of tire chains for this run and possibly other situations. So, those that have them, convince me I need or don't need them. Oh, I've got a pair lined up for $40.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifAlso...those that use them, do you have them on the front or rear?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

And, if anyone wants some info about this run I'm getting together, PM me and I'll get you some info.

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Too bad my Blazer is dead. Im right down I94 ( and a little up 67 ). About 25 minutes from you in a fast car /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about chains as well as I am all stock for now. I would like to get some chains because we get quite a bit of snow here for like 6 months of the year so it's a big part of my life.

5. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Tire chains work if you are on ice, don't have air to air back up afterword, or run 16.5 rims and can't air down. If you only have one pair, put them on the front.

But airing down is the key to snow. Even with stock rigs. We have had countless guys come on their first winter trail ride with us using tire chains. They usualy get stuck and give in to our requests for them to air down. Then are amazed how they are able to drive right thru the spot that they had just got stuck in when they had chains.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I unfortunately have 16.5" rims as I found out the other day! So, now I need to either get a set of used 15" rims or pony up the dough to get the more expensive tires and just don't air down.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

you can make some chains for cheap. When my dad lived up there he used to make his own.

Nick

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Make sure you make em good and tight if you make em because I'm sure if they came flying off of there it wouldn't be good!

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

probably not. It would probably got through your wheel well if you had any speed.

nick

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

or you can get weld on bead locks and air down them 16.5 rims. I noticed one of mine was low about two weeks ago but I was procrastinating and didn't do anything about it. Yesterday it had 5 lbs. of air in it and still on the bead.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You really dont need chains to wheel in the snow. Just good tires and air them down some. Chains are for 2 wd rigs.
    I live wheel and drive in the snow all winter and dont even own a set of chains. I'v never had any problems getting around off road.I hunt all winter so I do a lot of offroading in the snow. Some of the worst stuck vehicles I have ever seen were rigs with chains on all four wheels. trying to drive thru snow drifts that was way too deep.
    Chains will get you in to trouble but they wont get you out.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Chains arent a bad thing, IMHO. they help a lot if you have a low traction situation, especially if there is a thick layer of ice at the bottom. It can also mean the difference of sliding off the side of a cliff, or staying on. Hammering through snow is not a good thing, you dont know whats under there.

And roots have a nasty habit of snagging your chains and ripping them off.

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I agree that chains can get you stuck - but so can four wheel drive /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I carry heavy duty chains because I run AT tires. When the snow isn't incredibly deep or it is deep and there is ice under it, chains are the only way to go. Try driving up a narrow wind glazed mountain road without chains or studs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Try driving up a narrow wind glazed mountain road without chains or studs

[/ QUOTE ]
    Been there, done that! And not too far from you... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I had to go rescue my seriously broken F-150 up between American Fork Canyon and Heber around October 1980. The roads were covered with about a foot of greasy ice/snow. Without chains, the '68 K10 we were in wouldn't have made the trip to the top. It kept wanting to slide towards the downhill side of the road. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I disagree with the chains on front bit-

With 2wd vehicles, you are supposed to put them on your drive axle. With 4wd, your supposed to use 4, but if you only have 1 pair, I'd put them on the back, here's why...

In an acceleration event, your front wheels would be grabbing more than your rear wheels. not a terrible issue.. unless you try and turn at any speed. Your rear may slide out on you.

In a deceleration event, your front wheels will grab more than your rear (which is normal anyways). However with your front having chains, and your rear not, the rear may come back around on you as well.

Just my two cents, you can always move them from axle to axle to see which one works best for you...

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

68 k10 !
    damn

on the older 4x4 trucks like 67-72 K20 they used 4.55 front and 4.57 rear if they didnt get 4.10 axles.
    the deeper were std equipment usually if you didnt order an optional engine or tranny

where would you put chains if you had 4.55/4.57 axles? this would make front pull the truck a little more for sure i would think, hmm.

also are there any places where chains are legal for on-road use ? i know here in IL they are banned

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know what the gear ratio was in that old pig. It was uglier than a mud fence but it still ran like a top. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tire chains are legal in Colorado. In fact, they're even required on some of the mountain passes when it's really snowing hard. The school buses here even have automatic tire chains. The driver can flip a switch on the dash and a set of spinning chains will automatically deploy from under the rear axle. The chains get slung under the tire as the bus moves. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've also seen police cars and post office trucks with tire chains mounted. But then, Colorado is also one of the few states that allow studded tires year round. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In an acceleration event, your front wheels would be grabbing more than your rear wheels. not a terrible issue.. unless you try and turn at any speed. Your rear may slide out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i belive in severe ice and snow, such that would warrant using chains...there arent going to be any acceleration events. If there are...we should be talking about seat belts and crumple zones instead.

19. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The school buses here even have automatic tire chains. The driver can flip a switch on the dash and a set of spinning chains will automatically deploy from under the rear axle. The chains get slung under the tire as the bus moves. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i wanna see that.

i dont think there is a flat road in my state(wv)...not to mention its 80% forest.

Ive drove in ice so bad you cant steer at speeds above parked. Deep snow isnt a problem, there is snow to grab on to. If you use 4wd in ice, you NEED chains in the front, cause now with your front wheels pulling, youve got even more a chance for them to lose traction and you turn but the truck doesnt, ive had it happen several times.

Chains on the back? i guess if you were putting them on all wheels that would be ok...i dont know why youd want to. Front end is heavier than the back, so 4wd front has more traction than the rear anyway. In snow...getting the vehicle to move is easy...getting it to stop is the problem.

Or you could just say screw it and get AWD!!!!

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have chains for all 4 wheels and detroits front and rear... wish we'd get some hella nasty snow/ice so I could try it out!!! i have been dyin to drive it in some nasty conditions ever since I got the chains ($) but, OF COURSE, there has been like a 4 year ice/snow drought since I got them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif naturally, if I sold them, the next day an ice age would start. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

j