Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Chioce

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GDBlazerFun, Jul 8, 2002.

1. GDBlazerFun

GDBlazerFun Registered Member

Ok I would like to get your opinion...

I went to the local tire shop and talked to the assistant manager about tires. (Yes, I realize he it there to sell me the best $$$ maker for his shop!) But we got to talking and it turns out he is a weekend wheeler as well...
    (Someone else to go wheelin with! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif )

We were talking about the BF Goodrich Mud Terrains and then he asked me about the new Goodyear Wrangler and what I knew about them... (Nothing!) He said that he will never go back to BFG's and he knows a bunch of people that are ditching the BFG's for the Wranglers.

So what I'm asking is what are your opinions on each of the tires?
    Anyone used both? Favorite? Experiences?
    I know I can go get technical data up the A** but I want to know how do they really perform on the trail?

Thanks

Greg -

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

It all depends on the type of wheelin & how often you do it, is it a daily driver ,hwy usage? A lot of factor in purchasing tires also big invenstment! So do your home work and research what tire does what & where,how well. Also how much milage you want out of them! Need more info on all this before any suggestions made.
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

heres my .02

i've run both tires and i think both are awesome. but, the goodyears are a little quieter on the highway and the bfg are a little better in the mud. for me it came down to money...i bought the goodyears because they were cheaper than the bfg's.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Judging by how many guys are starting to use the MT/Rs in competition, I have to assume that they are a great tire. I'v used the BFG mud quite a bit and love them, if I wanted something less aggressive than my Swampers they would probably be my first choice, although if they were the same price I might try the Goodyears. </font color>

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if was was going to get some new off road tires in the 37" and under class... I'd get MTRs. If not them BFGs newest MT or ProComp MT. From what I have seen, the 37" MTR is a *great* all around tire. If I wasn't getting 39.5 TSLs I would consider the MTR... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have never used Goodyear truck tires, but I never run anything but Goodyear on my Firebird (and I go through a lot of tires!). I always have run BFGs on my trucks. Main reason for me is cost. BFG makes a good tire (actually made by Michelin, BFG doesn't actually make tires anymore). Goodyear does as well. But, as with many things, you pay for the name. The Goodyears might last a little longer, but not usually an issue for me. I have never owned a set of off-road tires through their entire life. I usually tear it up or upgrade to a bigger size before tread is an issue. Like I said, I cannot speak for Goodyear truck tires but I have NEVER had a problem with traction or durability with my BFG MTs. And when there is typically a 20-25% premium for Goodyears, I don't see me switching anytime soon.

7. GDBlazerFun

I'm planning on 35's

Yes the truck is going to be a partial daily driver and I'm looking for a good all-around tire that can handle it all!

Thank you all for your posts... Are there any other opinions out there?

Thanks
    Greg -

8. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running 35 procomp muds. All I can say is wow!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Nothing compares to them. I've had them on for a year and they don't have much tread wear. They are extremely quiet on the road and have outstanding handling characterristicks. On the dirt well can you say traction? They are incredably puncture resistant and cut resistance is a plus. They retail for about the same and if you catch 4 wheel wharehouse when they have there buy three get one free you get a smokin deal which is hard to pass up. I drive mine to work everyday and then in all types of off road conditions from sand to snow to mud to rocks. The only draw back I found was side wall knobs, they don't have them. Which I have been bugging them about. But I wouldn't go with any other tire in the 35 bracket. As you can tell I really like them. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

wow, you must have got some super-comps!! I wore then down fast and blew a tire out in two months....

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

From what I understand.... Goodyear came out with their new MT (which a friend of mine has and loves) and have done well. BFG has now countered with their new BFG MT/KM; which supposedly raises the bar yet again. One of the 4x mags did an article on the new KM. It'll probably be my next tire.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Might also consider SSR's..........I run them in 35x12.5x16 on my K5........great on the street and more importantly for us PNW guys rain, and do well on trails and sand dunes. Just another option.......... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Paid $203 each mounted/balanced/etc. at 4WPW

12. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I ran a set of 35" BFG Mud T/A's (bought 4 slightly used for 300 bucks!) and I loved em. My truck is a daily driver, but the tires worked well off-road too. They wore very nice and round, I had no balance problems even though they didn't get rotated regularly, and they lasted a long time. I even punctured one with a rusty 3/8" dia bolt, just left it in there and kept on running them! They were on the noisy side, but that didn't bother me. Plus, I think the cost is very reasonable for that size tire. If I wasn't moving up in tire size, I would buy a set of these new.

13. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

i currently run 35 inch bfg muds... the "old" style and love em... i drive the truck 40 minutes one way to work everyday and the ride is as good as i could ever hope for with 4" lift... overall they give good traction on and off road- ive been in sand, mud and rocks and never complained.. so for my money, id go with the bfg's

14. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

I am running 33 SSR's and they are great, but heavy and expensive.

I have run 31 BFG MT's and they were OK. SSR's are quieter on the road and better on the trail, but see above.

I am curious about the GY MTR. Seems to equal or better BFG with treadwear, highway, and traction but WAS expensive. HOWEVER, check out www.tirerack.com, CHEAP for GY? Dont know what that means. MIght consider those next.

15. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

bfg's can really kick up some mud...if that's what you're into.

[​IMG]

nice sidewall construction too...aired down and stuck to some rocks in tellico for me...that was after i drove there on them from florida! just a really good all purpose tire.

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Which Tire? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Well I'll open up the worms again here..... Every company makes a good or great tire that someone loves... I've never ran the Goodyears, but I have run the older BFG Mud Terrain.... The are great tires and Liked them alot, I didn't like how loud they were and don't like the amount of flats I was having to repair and didn't like to pay for the replacement when I blew one out.... So I went back to running Big O's. 35x12.5x15 Big O Big Foot XT's, due to the fact of the warrenty and I like the tire.

Good luck with the Tire choices! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

17. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I have to say that I've run BFG M/T's on all my trucks and loved them.They are strong, long mileage tires.BUT I'm going to Goodyear MT/R's next. They have the size I'm looking for(37/12.50x15) and everyone I've seen with them just likes them more than the BFG's.Pro Comp's are 2 ply sidewalls and I don't like that.Swampers are a totally different story.....strongest you can buy,but wear quick and not very suitable for alot of highway driving(just my experiences).I don't know if you can get road hazard on Swampers,Goodyear and BFG YES!BTW how are you doing Craig(C'MOE)?MIke

18. GDBlazerFun

I knew I was going to open up that can of worms... But that is what I wanted! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

So MTPockets, I like to play in the mud (Go Figure, Up here in the rainy Washington State!)... But I do find myself now and then playing with the rocks and doing moderate crawling (Given that my truck is still stock!) And I was wondering how do they handle the hard stuff? (Yes, I'm getting ready to do a bunch of mods and I'm trying to be ready for every step of the modification process!)

And to address the SSR's.. I would love them but not with a rig that is still partly a daily driver! (Hey have to show off the mud to everyone after a good wheeling trip!) /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif If I ever decide to turn it into a true rock crawler you can bet I'll go with the best!!

Thanks!

Greg -

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well this can of worms has been on PBB before. Most people say the GY is great on the rocks. Most also said they were wearing faster than the BFG's.
    I put 25-30k on a set of BFG 32 inc MT's. According to NTB they still have 50% tread. I replaced them with a Seto of 35 inch BFG KM's. I am super happy with the KM's. For a Mud they are pretty quiet. I have not rode in a Truck with the GY's so I couldn't tell you what one is quieter. The BFG's have been giving me respecatable hwy manners but these are mud tires and yes you will know it on the street if your coming from a set of A/T's. I'm not much for Mud but the BFG's have done really good for me. I think only the swampers are going to do better.
    Costco here in Atlanta sells the BFG's in a 35x12.5x15 for $147 each mounted ballanced with road hazard +tax. I think the 33's are running about $143.
    Now BFG had a supply problem. When all the Firestone/Ferd stuff happend Michelin (who Owns the BFG tire name and manufactures them) could not keep up with demand for the Michelin Truck tires. They pulled down the KM lines to make more AT's and Michelin tires. They were 8-10 weeks out in April on KM's when I bought mine. I had to call in a favor to get them in 6 weeks from a BFG rep I know. I think they are catching up but I'm still hearing a 3-4 week wait from most places.

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Oh boy I've go my fishing pole and ready to go fishing with everyone having all these worms around.... LOL.... it was there and I had to make a joke about it...

Mike, I'm good over here but someone left the oven on to long/ hot again... The seats are in but I think I'm going to drill some new holes and move them a bit. My rear seat looks so bad, I keep thinking obout pulling it out and then I need to have Aqua sit back there, so it has to stay. How are you liking the Monsoons? Hey I just e-mailed ya.....