Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Choices?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bart, Mar 25, 2000.

1. bart

bart Registered Member

Well, it's time to order the tires...now which ones to get?

I am going to use 33's, and want to drive both on and off road...inherently, where I will go off road there is a considerable amount of mud...I've been considering the BFG MT's and the Swamper TSL's...I've heard that the BFG M/T isn't that good in mud....but the TSL isn't good on the street...

help! I can't make up my mind! comments/experiences anyone?

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I have some 33 BFG M/T's and haven't had a problem in the mud. Granted I usually get stuck, but its more of a weight & lack of locker issue that is involved. If you have any type of recovery equipment on your truck, and can make self recoverys than which is better in the mud isn't a issue, if you feel the boggers are worse on street than go with the BFG M/T's. Another thing, if you get your M/T's locally, you may beable to get "road hazzard" and if you mess one up, bring it back.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

BFG/MT

"just look at them"

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I like the TSL radials which are pretty decent on the street and super off-road. Not that loud either like some may say. The TSL bias ply tires are a different story.

They did a comparison on 4x4 review between the two tires:
    http://www.4x4review.com/products/tires/tire_pics.asp

Shawn
    87 K5
    36" TSL Radials

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have 35 inch BFG mud terrains and I really liked them. With 4.56 gears and a locker in the back, I was genuinly surprised how far I could get with them. They lasted a super long time on the pavement too.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I love my TSL SX's! And I drive my truck everyday and on trails and in mud on the weekends. I don't mind the houling noise they make, infact I like it!
    Curtis
    Stock 88 w/32x11.50's

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have 33" BFG M/T and really like them. So far I have about 15,000 miles on them and they are about at 1/2 tread depth. Since the tread lasts longer as you get less(due to less flexing in the lugs), I figure I'll get about 35,000 miles out of them. It is very important to keep them balanced and rotated.

the Goose

8. grythndr

grythndr Registered Member

go with th TSL'S... far superior to the BFG'S

9. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I'm strugling with the same tire choices. So far Buckshot and Swamper Radials are at the top of my list. Every one who I have talked to that uses them loves them. Now if I could just decide which size.

Kent

1989 K5

10. bart

bart Registered Member

Now that I am looking around more, I see these Swamper SSR Radials...a new style they have out...they have some sidewall tread and look pretty good...I guess the lug pattern is tighter and there is some siping for wet traction...any comments on these? They are a little more pricey..but they may be worth it if they're quieter and more street-able...

11. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have Swamper TSL's and they rock. No problems at all.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I have 3 sets here one is on the K-5, 35x12.5x15 Big O Big Foot XT's (great warrenty), 33x14.5x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted HP, and last 35x12.5x15 B.F. Goodrich Mud T/A. All good tires and brands!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

13. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

My personal choice for off road is the Swamper TSL (36X12.5X15). For normal every day driving I run Cavalier Mud Kings (33X12.5X15). Both sets of tires are on 8X15 white spoke rims from Summit for $26.95 each including shipping. I use a 4 way and a 3 ton floor jack to swap tires on the weekend and have it down to 20 minutes. Best move I ever made to get the swampers. The Mud Kings are good on the highway and were ok off-road and the TSL's are bad on the highway but awesome off-road. You can't beat the 8 ply sidewalls of the TSL either. Just my $.02

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush