Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire dry rot prevention...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Nov 4, 2002.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since I am not going to be driving my boggers daily I am going to store them. Currently they are in a closet in my apartment. (Don't tell the landlord that!!!) What can I put on them to extend their life? How should I stack them so that they don't get damaged from sitting? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Mine sit outside on truck. I use a spray cleaner or Maguires wipeon stuff and rotate the tires ocationally to keep them from getting flat spots. I had them setting for a couple months then started driving the truck and it felt like someone was making a martini with my truck as the shaker /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif After a couple days of vibes they subsided and all is good. I would use the Maguires wipe on stuff, lightly, then garbage bag them to keep down the smell? As far as stacking, I have no idea! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Keep them out of the sun and off of concrete, stack them on top of one another on top of wood strips, cut up 2x4s should work fine. If you can store them where there isn't an extreme varience in temperature that would help.</font color>

4. OFFRDK5

They are currently on carpet inside my apartment, in my closet./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Is there any kind of protectant that I can put on them that has been proven to work?
    Thanks

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If they aren't exposed to anything more harsh the the inside of your closet, there is no need for a protectant. </font color>

6. OFFRDK5

Thanks for the responses!!

7. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Just curious how big are the boggers in your closet?!

Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. OFFRDK5

33x14.00x16.5 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I stack them on their sides on top of something flat that doesn't change moisture or temperature. I usually set mine on top of a platform I built in the basement out of a piece of 3/4" OSB and some 2x4s. I stack the first one outside up, second one outside down, third one outside up, fourth one outside down. This keeps the pretty side (if you had white letters it'd matter more) from meeting the ugly side which probably has grime, grease, and road tar on it. It also makes it so the ugly side is face up on the top so if you're like me and use piles of tires for workbenches you won't leave anything on the pretty side.

I wouldn't bother treating them with anything if they're going to be inside. Just don't let a hot air duct blow on them. I clean my tires with Lysol Basin, Tub, and Tile cleaner. I then let them dry and apply Armor All's "Flashblack" on them. I wait a couple minutes to let it soak in and then hose it off before it "dries". I like the "new tire" look but I don't like the greasey slime look. By hosing it off before it dries you can avoid the slimey look and feel. Plus, anyone that has used the "tire wet" junk knows that if you go down anything remotely dusty your tires turn brown if they have the goo on them.

10. OFFRDK5

I wonder if Missouri clay is good to protect them? I just left the clay on them and stacked em. Gonna scare the sh!t out of the landlord if he comes in!!
    Good idea about a platform. I need to build something that I can roll them around in. Wheels on wheels.

I don't have nice while letters to deal with!!