Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire fell off going 60mph- this weekend trip story- Farewell Brutus

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Farewell to Brutus. Finally. In a way I hate to get rid of it... in another way it was becoming a money pit but even moreso a labor pit.

It now has become a project and may be seen over at http://www.4wheelingplus.com/ getting a bigger lift, and bigger tires.

The plan was tow it over 3/4 of the way across the state and drop it off, then continue to the Seattle area to pick up another truck I had got like 3 months ago but not physically gotten yet.

Loaded was Brutus on the trailer, with a little excess tongue weight so it wouldn't overhang the rear, a bunch of parts, 36" Swampers, and a 14-bolt rear end in the '81 1-ton flatbed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was driving and towing great. I just had finally mounted 4 matching wheels and 4 matching tires onto it. Aluminum rims... which I had already driven 100 miles on continually re-checking lug nuts to ensure they didn't come loose.

It did give me a strange wandering feeling at 3 different spots along the way. At a rest stop, about 15 miles away from where I was dropping Brutus off at, I did a walk around check. No loose lug nuts, nothing vidually out of the ordinary. I take off again and get 1.5 miles down I-90 and BOOM, and then the truck jerk violently and the the rear drivers side drops. I immediately know the rear tires flew off and just concentrated on keeping the truck and trailer straight and slowed down from 60mph, and over to the shoulder. It was about 11pm and dark.
    [​IMG]
    5 studs left, threads kinda stripped, and all bent. The others broke off in the hub assembly. I found the tire way back on the road. Sidewall of the tire had a huge hole in it, and the rim was cracked and also garbage. All other lug nuts on all other wheels on the truck were still equally tight.
    [​IMG]

I had a spare tire... and spare lug nuts, but the studs were toast. Oh wait- I have a whole other 14-bolt rear with me. A couple guys stopped to make sure I was ok, and I sent them on their way after I figured out I had a way to fix it on my own.

I'd just swap out the hub assembly and drum from the rear end in the bed, put the spare tire on, then be back driving again. So I started. Pulled out the jack... noticed everything stayed tied into the flatbed, but shifted from the shock of impact. The swampers all moved, and the round plate that sits atop the floor jack was gone. It flew up in the air during the ordeal and I found it way back on the opposite side of the road.

Swapped it all around and went again... with a bouncing almost clunking noise that sounded like it was from under the truck or underneath. Nothing was visually wrong. I kept driving. I still did the weird swaying/floating feel as it had 3 times before.

Dropped off Brutus at about 2am, drove to the next rest stop and slept.

Next morning drove to Mikes (TrcksR4me) place in Bothell, to put the rear end under the truck I was getting and load it on the trailer. Mike helped by putting some used studs he had into the other hub assembly so I could put it on the rear end and put it under the truck and got it on the trailer and was ready to head home. No more incidents.
    [​IMG]

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As always another adventurous trip. Good story Allen glad to hear everything worked out

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

that couldn't have been fun to control when they came off. And doesn't that just figure you had that 14ff on the flatbed to save you!

Is that the 1ton GMC you bought for the frame?

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Holy crap,what a ride that must have been.Glad you made it through.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

All i can say is your a truck whore...

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

way to keep it all under control

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

way to save the trucks, what do you think did it, old studs or the alum rim?

8. mountainexplorer

That's the '85 GMC 1-ton (minus Dana 60) that I got to use to re-build up my '85. I have a 60 to go under it, a 6" lift, and I'm going to try and make it have a nice body as the closest thing I'd have to a pretty street queen.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/29378316/1107322922033211152bglJmD
    [​IMG]

Not sure yet on what the initial cause was. The swaying/floating feeling I got from the rear could have been caused by looses lug nuts, or even by week sidewalls. But if it was lug nuts that were loose, it should have happened way back after I first felt that feeling... and it came and went. Also vidually everything was tight 1.5 miles back at the rest stop.

The pass rear tires was extremely warm. I'm thinking it almost could have been a sidewall that just gave out, but I wouldn't think the force of a blowout would rip lug nuts off and break off 9/16" studs.

Both theories seem unlikely in some ways, but I can neither confirm or deny either one. But it did happen and it ruined my one rim and the tire. And also ruined my front tires. Both fronts have bald spots now from the front brakes locking up when I was trying to stop. I didn't think I was on the brakes that hard, but I guess so. I'm also thinking the right rear rim is also bent now too.

9. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

and some people say that all the parts i have in my shop is junk... (dad)... good to hear you got er done dude.

10. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Oh man, another great story. Anyone else think it would be cool to just make all these trips for trucks/parts all the time?

11. mountainexplorer

This may be one of the few last ones for me. Averaged 7.3 mpg and cost $252.50 in fuel to make the trip across the state and back. I don't think I'll be doing many more road trips unfortunately.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

why not swap in a diesel? Should add better fuel economy, and you could burn veggie oil.

Did you check if the rims were made for the axle? Sometimes those alloy wheels have all sorts of weird seating angles that require the proper angled lug nuts to go with it... just a thought, as I know a lot of the lug nuts used for steel rims do not work for alloy wheels.

13. mountainexplorer

I have an '83 K30 6.2 diesel with 90,000 original miles. I'm trying to get rid of it. Not very good mileage and no power. I'd rather get a little worse mileage and actually be able to have some pulling power.

The rims were on an '85 Suburban with the same style lug nuts for years. All other rims havent even tried coming loose and have stayed tight since they were put on the 1-ton.

14. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

When my girlfriend owned it (I do now) I stripped down her sunfires d/s wheel down to the hub, and not being able to get the hub nut off put it back together. She drove it home, to work, back home, to school, back home, to my house. All of those trips are 30min + highway. Then on the way home 5 lugs simultaniously sheer, sending the wheel flying off into the woods never to be found, she said it bounded up in the air about 15 feet. She stopped about 5 feet away from skewering herself on a guard rail or driving off the raised highway onto an underpass. Yay. :eek1:

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Really rather surprised- I have a burb with 238k and my pickup has like 270k- both of them get superb fuel economy. Both are in the 20's consistantly.

Have never towed with a BBC so I couldnt tell you the comparison.