Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire fell off while driving down the road.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rasberry, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Though you guys would get a kick out of this. Tire rolled down the road and knocked over a guys mail box, so I had to buy him a new one. Don't ask what happened to the lug nuts cause I down know.
    [​IMG]

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

poor truck !! what happened, lug nuts come undone, studs break off ? someone forget to tighten them ? or overtightened them ?

did the axle survive ? drum ?

ie seen this happen a couple times, a sort of uncle of mine has an 81 elky that he lost front wheel off of going down the road, it smacked the fender and smashed it up and back quite a ways, the frame is rusted so bad that it is broken and hanging in the rear, under the whoel bed area, and the 305 is like its fourth engine and is dying has like hardly any compression and the th350 is dying, but still keeps on going, lol, total junker to the full extent of the term, but runs and drives however :P

good luck

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i always wondered what would happen if my tire fell off.ive been close.my front end wheel bearings went out on me and the hub split in half.now i have to replace the hub and the locking assybly.i started to hear a squeel coming from the front end the other day.the hub split from where the front bearing sits out to the hub.im lucky it didnt happen on the highway.

4. hailey

hailey Registered Member

that happened to me a few years ago in my cj7. it was 3am and me and some friends were taking a break from the books. on our way to the wa-ho, i went around a curve and felt a huge bang. everything started shaking and i couldn't steer. then all the sudden i looked out my driver's side window, and saw a 36x12.50 super swamper pass me on the road. it made for an interesting conversation trying to explain to my teacher why i was late for his test the next morning...

hailey

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Dang.

Same thing happened to my Crewcab last weekend. Found all my lugnuts in the same spot. The tire rolled across 4 lanes of traffic and came to a stop without hitting anything. Screwed up my rim a little, but still usable. I got lucky it didn't kill anyone. Damn tire shop!!!

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'm glad nobody was hurt and damage looks minimal to your Blazer.

Each of the front tires has fallen off of my Blazer at least once prior to my coming into posession of it. The disc backing plates are ground flat where the truck skidded on them. When the wheels fell off, the studs were weakened. I pulled the tires to rotate them and several of the front studs would not hold 75 lbs.*ft. of torque (they broke at something below that), so I replaced 'em all. I'd suggest doing the same with your rear studs to ensure that the studs won't break off on you at the wierdest time.

7. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

My lug bolts, and drum seems to be just fine. The only casualty was a mailbox that the tire ran over. I never found any lug nuts. I bought some new ones and they seem to be doing fine. I guess it could have been much worse.

8. TED

TED Registered Member

I had the same problem last summer. I was getting on an on ramp about midnight and next thing I know my rotor is on the pavement. Then i saw my tire roll half way up the side of the overpass. Luckily, nobody was hurt and the damage wasn't too major. The lug nuts came a little loose (my fault for not checking them) and pulled the last few threads off the wheel studs when i came around the turn for the on ramp. New rotors, a rim, and new wheel bearings and i was back on the road.

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Rasberry, the studs on my Blazer *looked* fine, but they didn't hold torque. I'm just being a bit of a fraidy-cat here, but I'd prefer to be safe and replace the studs. They're cheap and relatively easy to replace.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've had the same wheel come off. I was going about 80mph and the backend started to get loose /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    I slowed it down and the tire came off right as I got it stopped. It wedged under the quarter and held the truck up. I also remember doing the brakes on the front axle and one of the studs comming off in my hand as I used it to spin the rotor. 30 years is too long for stock studs!

11. TED

TED Registered Member

I agree about the studs, trying to drive on three wheels again just didn't appeal to me. I replaced every wheel stud after my little incident.

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner