Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire fitment conflict

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddawg, May 13, 2002.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

1st of all we are slacking on the top 4x4 site!!!!
    I was just checking Tuff country's website. Their tire fit chart says a Blazer needs 4" lift to fit 33's. In the tech section of CK5 the chart says 33's fit under a 2.5" lift. Anyone have personal knowledge of which is more accurate? I would like to run 33's but don't want that "truck is too tall for its tires" look.

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i run a 2.5 inch procomp lift on mine with 33's...they fit great. the only rubbing i do is with no sway bar and up on the rocks. even then its mild and not enough to do damage. maybe their springs flex better so they think you need more lift??

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I currently have 2.5" Procomp springs,and a 2" block/add-a-leaves. Works great. I did trim the front fenders. If you don't want to any trimming go with the 4" lift.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    My buddy has a 4" lift on his 86 silverado, and he runs 35's. He mainly drives it on the street, and when he wheels it is only mud... NEVER rubs at all. If your not going to be flexing alot then you could fit those 33's under a 2.5 lift.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

They will rub on a 10" wheel. On a stock 8" wheel, you'll be fine. I currently run 38's on 8" wheels with only 7" of lift and NO fender trimming. I haven't wheeled it real hard yet, but I have experienced no rubbing at all. If I were to go to a 10" wheel, they'd rub with hard cornering on pavement (like a tight turn into a parking space kind of thing). You should be able to run 33x12.50's on a stock wheel with stock suspension. As soon as you go to a wider wheel, you'll rub.

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i have 35's with a 4" lift i rub when i turn the corner, any corner. depends on how beat up the lift was. i had 33's and no problem at all, of course, the lift really could be a 2.5 inc lift and all this time i have been wrong. never even thought to look just took the guys word for it.

7. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

see, now you have me wantin' 4" with 35's. They don't cost alot more and I don't wheel much more than getting to my "out of the way" camping spot. HMMMMMM /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

When I got my K5 I just wanted 33's .. so I got a 2.5" Procomp lift. New springs up front,and block and add-a-leaves in the rear. Well after I trimmed my fender's I could put 35's on. After looking at my rear springs (rusty & sagging) I went out and bought 4" BDS springs for front and rear.Wish I went this route when I first got it.

9. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I had 35x12.50 tires on 10" wheels on my 83 and only occasionally hit on an extreme flex with only a 4" lift, with no trimming.

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

First off, all suspensions are different. I know many people that run 35s with 4" lift and have no rubbing. I run 35s on 15x10s with 4" susp lift, 1" body lift, competition bumpstops, and trimmed fenders and I STILL rub. And I am running Rough Country springs (that most people consider stiff). So, with that said, you may or may not be able to run 33s under 2.5" of lift.

Now, on to the bigger issue. If you can fit 33s under 2.5", that is probably as big as you could go with some major sheetmetal work. and, we ALWAYS want to go bigger RIGHT AFTER installing what we have! I would recommend going with a 4" lift. Most of them are no more expensive than a 2.5" one. It also is just about the same amount of work to install the 4" as the 2.5" one. You can still go with 33s if you want, but could always go 35s later without having to re-lift the rig. Or, you could go ahead and go teh 35 route.

I have a friend, sluggo45acp, that runs 33s under his 4" lift. It works great for him and looks good, too. The decision is up to you, but I just thought I would give you a word of advice from someone that's been there, done that!

11. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I run a 4 inch Rough Country Lift and 35x12.50r15 on an eight wheel and with the swaybar connected it wheel lift a tire before it rubs. The Rough Country lift is so High the also turn lock to lock and don't even come close to rubbing anything.

12. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

2.5" procomp front and 2" blocks in the rear with 32" and plenty of room for 33"

13. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

2 inch lift with 33X12.5 with no rubs.

14. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

depends on the tires, I run 4" and 35's on an 8 inch wheel, but my tires are really only about 33.5 inches.

15. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

so by using the 8 inch rim, it does not create uneven wear?

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running 38x13x16in swampers on a 2.5in lift with 6.5in wide rims but also did lots of trimming /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hehe yeah... it all starts with a 2.5 and 33"s./forums/images/icons/wink.gif that's what i wanted, then it was a 4" and 33"s, then 35" mud terrains. i ended up with a 4" and 36x12.50 super swamper TSLs and trimmed fenders and i'm doing a 3" body lift soon. it's hard to be satisfied when you know you could have gone bigger. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I have 35x15.50's on 15x10's right now with a 6" lift and I just about tore a fender off the other day. Luckily, I only wripped the back half of the fender off. So, if you do decide to go with the 35's, and if they are on 10" rims, may as well lift it at least the 4".

If you think you're going to go to 36", 38" or something like that, you may as well do it now. Dissatisfaction will get the best of you, as it has all of us, once you put the new meats and lift on. I was perfectly happy with 6" and 35's till I realized that I could have something bigger.

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i said when i got my blazer 33 and no lift then said 2.5 and 36's max well i still have the 2.5 lol but i have 38's and want 44's lol

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well..its kind of an disease..once you do a little...you just cant stop!..LOL HEHE

Bryan