Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire fitment

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SilverJim, Feb 19, 2002.

1. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, a couple guys here are running the 37 x 12.50 SSRs...at one point I was going to go with the 39.5" boggers, but I want to be able to handle my truck on the road a little better...I'd like to go with the SSRs if I can get some pretty good input on what height lift i need. So how much lift do I need for no fender trimming and no tire-fender contact? I have the ORD 4" shackle flip in the rear and a 3" body lift and I'm still ordering new springs. (So right now, the front is ~4" lower than the rear. Will 2" springs in the rear and 6" in the front be about right or too much? The National Tire and Wheel website (www.ntwonline.com) says I need 8" of lift to run 38 x 15.50s. I'm just curious what the real world says.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by SilverJim on 02/20/02 10:09 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Not sure but let me tell you what my rig did.
    1st stage was 4"springs in front, 4"blocks rear(stock springs) and 3" body lift with 33x12.50-15 Dunlop MudRovers.
    The rear tires hit/bent the front of the rear wheelwells when gettin flexy on the trail.
    2nd stage is 4"springs in front,5 1/2" springs rear (superlift) and 3" bodylift with 35X12.50-15 Swamper SSR. No rubbing but by this time I have cut the fenders so don't know if they would have hit that front part of the rear wheelwell or not!?
    Good luck and I hope this helps.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I used 4" front springs &amp; 4" tapered rear blocks with stock springs and 35-12.5 BFGs, the rear tires did rub the leading edge of the fenders. I only had to cut a small amount out of the front edge, the front rubbed at almost full lock &amp; fully articulated so I added 4" dropped bumpstops. The rear seemed to sag, so I removed the blocks and added 6" rear springs with the overload removed. This cured the "sag" and seemed to perform a little better. I've run a friends 35-15.5 TSL SXs on 10' wide wheels on the street and they rubbed a little on the front fenders, I think because they are so wide. I've since cut the front of the front fenders at the body line and have been thinking of the 37-12.5 SSRs as well, they may fit....but when you wheel' that is when you find out what fits &amp; what hits, it's all up to you how high you want to go to fit big meats..Hope you get it where you want it.

The Red Beast

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

SilverJim,

I guess it will depend on how hard you plan on wheeling it offroad.....The amount of lift you describe will certainly get the fenders away from the those 40" tires on the street, but once things start twisting and flexing offroad......it seems like the tires are going to start "munching" your fenders!!!

I know that TMANOFCALI has an 8" front spring and 10" rear with 38's and he is concerned about rubbing offroad. He says he hasn't really pushed it hard offroad yet, but he's concerned that there will be issues.

I don't know if you can have it "both ways"....to keep the fenders intact, you gotta lift it WAY up to clear those tires.....to get a decent ride on the street, you gotta keep the lift lower and cut sheetmetal for clearance.

Personally, I'd hate to see a 1st Gen Blazer all "hacked out" to clear big tires.....but that's just me.. [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

Can someone running the 37 x 12.50s tell me how much lift they have?

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!