Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! tire / gear size !!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lifethroughdeath, Mar 16, 2003.

1. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

(posted in G1 forum accidentally) ive had my '90 K5 for about 2 months now and its all stock, (FOR NOW!) way too much i want to do to her in the future. with no lift on the tire size chart it says you can use a 31" tire without any problems, and a 32" with minor trimming, would i have any drivetrain related problems (overheating my auto 700r4) if switching to either of these without changing my stock diff gears, these are only going to be temporary until i can afford a lift and bigger tires and EVERYTHING else on my LONG list of mods, but for now my tires are BALD /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Well you didn't give aus a whole lot of information to go by, but I think you should be able to go to a 31-33 without re-gearing. If you have big plans for the truck, you don't want to regear before you ned to. It costs approx $500 per axle for a shop to regear.

What is your gear ratio now? 3.08? 3.73?

3. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i have no idea what gears i have, i just wanted to make sure that the 32" tires would give me no problems with anything on my truck, how bad will a 32" tire rub on a stock height 90 K5, only at full turn /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I used to have 32's on 10" rims and they never rubbed.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Had 32x11.5R15s on stock 1983 K5, 15x8 wheels, and they never rubbed.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I got 32x11.50's on 10" rims. The first tires I had never rubbed. My BFG mud terrains used to rub only on compression while turning. After a little problem I had with an unexpected 4 foot drop they would rub all the time when turning but only a little.

It really depends on if your springs are saggy or not. Either way if you do rub it won't be by much and you should be ok.

I now have a lift so no more rubbing for me until I get new tires.

7. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I have 32x11.5 on my otherwise stock 90 (stock aluminum rims) as well and it doesn't even come close to rubbing. I have 3.55 gears and they work great, cruises 70 on the highway barely reaching 2200 RPM.