Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Goo??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mosesburb, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever use a tire stop-leak goo?? If so, what brand was it and did it work??

Background: I got my boy a tricycle with pneumatic tires. Being a boy, he likes to drive over anything and everything (usually twice). Being in Arizona, everything that grows has thorns/spikes on it. He runs them over (usually twice). He managed to let the tire (inner tube actually) hold air for a little over a month. It is not a split rim, so servicing the tube sucks wet ass. I was thinking of putting some sort of goo in it to see if I can extend the service interval a bit.
    I went to a caster/wheel/tire shop today to see if they had bullet-proof tubes or tires . But, being that the tire looks the same size as a wheelbarrow tire, but is just a bit different, they don't make jack for it, hence the tire goo question.......

Suggestions??

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

On a bike tire, go for it. Don't use that crap on vehicle tires.

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We squirted a bunch of that stuff in the tires on my Dad's Bronco II that we keep at the deerlease. Haven't a flat in a 3 years, but you don't want to get the thing above 35 mph. All that gunk in the tires gave it a serious case of death wobble.

4. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

...and the guys at the tire place (where you go to get it repaired or replaced) will hate you because that stuff STINKS up the whole shop when the bead is broken.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

they make tubes with the stuff in it all ready, hard for them to go flat
    we used to have a wheelbarrow tire that was so cracked, it would go flat in 2-3 seconds
    we filled it with the fix-a-flat, and it has been holding air for 5 years now

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I tryed the green goo, in my truck tire as my spare had blew a large chunk of tread after 50 miles, and i was 3-4hours from home.

I had a 1/4 " hole in my tire, can said it would do that big, dident work. But later when i put a plug(one of them push in hardware store ones) in it would seal up enuff to hold air.

i said put it in it should seal any leaks now and later, since most of the stuff he will get in there will be small

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

If it is for his trike, use some spray foam like used in construction for filling cracks or spaces in walls. Going to be a rough ride, but it'll get him ready for his future hobby.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no don't do that.

I asked about doing that on my snow blower (tubeless) some said yeah some neah.

I but almost a full can of hilty fome in the tire, it sealed and preaserized, but after some time the preaser failed and the rim came off and the foam crumpled.

I wouldent advise it.