Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Grooving 101

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just spent the last almost 6 hours grooving the hell out of my 38's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've got a pile of swamper rubber about 2 feet in diameter and 6" tall on the garage floor. Grooved them pretty much indenticle to how Dr. Watson has his grooved...With one exception. Thats what I have a question about- I did the center lugs like Watsons, but didn't touch the outter lugs. Is this something I should do? Any reason not to? I did a few of the outter lugs on my spare like Watsons, I like the way it looks, still not sure....Anyone got any input? :help2:

Here's a picture of Watsons rig- You can get an idea of what I'm getting at from this pic-
    [​IMG]

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i grooved mine a month or so ago. I didn't do the outter lugs as I drive my junk on the highway and don't want them chunking on me.

The "Diamond" pattern for the inner lugs seems to be the concensous "best" way to go about it. The biting edges at angles are very good in my expereince so far.

sorry about the speeling /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Finally got this all finished. My forearm feels like its gonna explode, I think I'm gonna have popeye arms.. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Anyways, this is what I ended up with:

These are pretty much indenticle to Dr. Watsons tires. These TSL's were a bit worn out, so I removed the wear bars. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Also on the straight cuts, I made two cuts to widen the space between the lugs for a bit more for cleaning in the mud.
    [​IMG]

This is what they look like on the truck-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the spare I practiced on. No angled cuts and the side lugs have full depth cuts all the way accross them-
    [​IMG]

And this is the pile of Swamper rubber left over- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG][/list]

Zakk- Do you have any pictures of yours?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

5. Zeus33rd

Damn, lol, Wish my TSL's had that much tread left... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Mine were mostly free though, so I can't really complain. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

P.S. the chunking my outter lugs are having w/o the grooves, i'm inclined to not groove mine.

7. Zeus33rd

Not argiung with you or anything- But Watsons outtewr lugs haven't chunked.....Why not do the same to yours? Just don't go all the way to the outside edge of the lug. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Watson doesn't drive it on the street.Zakk does...

9. Zeus33rd

Good point Dano....but what does driving it on the road have to do with chunking? Watson beats the hell out of his and they havent chunked, atleast from looking at the pictures- If he does what he does to his swampers off road, with no chunking, why would it hurt to drive them on the street too? Those mall curbs are tough bastards, but not tough enough to chunk a swamper... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Zeus33rd

By the way, this is Watsons stuff...
    [​IMG]

11. gokartergo

Have you seen the chunks that are gone out of mine already.. Damn Jethrolok....LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Zeus33rd

LOL!

~DISCLAIMER~
    I take no responsibility for lost, stolen, misplaced or broken TSL lugs as a result of installation of the Jethro-Loc...Install at your own risk!

HAHA! LOL!

Damn, I kill me! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. gokartergo

Wait a minute. You didn't give me that disclaimer when I installed it. That was added after the fact. I think you owe me a set of TSL'S. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i was at a bog today and saw someone with boggers and they took a groover i think i cut the lugs hollow...turned them into scoops... very weird

15. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Wait a minute. You didn't give me that disclaimer when I installed it. That was added after the fact. I think you owe me a set of TSL'S. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! Buyer beware! lol! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

those look perty cool, might do something like that to my 33s before i mud race whith em.

17. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Better check the rules before you do. Many places will not allow you to run with cut tires. Or if they do, you must run in an unlimited class or such. Reason I never cut mine.

Just a point to think about.

Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]
    those look perty cool, might do something like that to my 33s before i mud race whith em.

[/ QUOTE ]

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

also, the bigger the tire, the bigger the lugs.

On Tony's 44's, it would never chunck, but my little, tiny 40's have much smaller lugs than the 44's or 42's.

19. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

What kind of tool to you use to cut the rubber out.

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a tire groover