Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Grooving

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by realsquash, Aug 29, 2000.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever grooved off-road tires? I'm thinking about cutting my boggers so the lugs flex more and possibly siping them. I'm looking for advice/tools/experiences. These tires will not be used on the road, except maybe between trails.

TIA,

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What would be the benefit of siping for off-road?

I thought siping was for on-road for better grip in water and ice.

Unless, maybe wet rock?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

The tires I run with are groved.
    They are off a pro series off raod truck, Kevin Probst truck to be exact(Probst Racing).
    This is the second set of tires i have used from them. I really enjoy the aggressive look and the traction is unbelievable. I never did any serious off roading but in the snow I think the tires are unmatched. I think the seceret is that the lugs clean so easy. I used them on raod with my last 4x4 (1980 plymouth trailduster) with no problem,they were 33x12.5, now i have 35x14.5 havent had these on raod yet but hopefully next week. The only hassel is the ballancing of these tires. The 35's I just had done on Eagle 89's formaly 589's have a fair amount of wheel weights on them but u cant see them anyway its all on the back.
    I think u will enjoy them!
    good luck,
    Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Squash hit it on the head. SIping will let the lugs conform a little more and give more biting edges to them. A guy on another board did his boggers and LOVES IT!! The only comment he had was not to sip to close to the edge, they'll wear out FAST even if they are only used offroad.

Kyle
    89K5

5. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Mine are not siped but they are agressivly groved!

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

6. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

I have seen a set of boggers grooved. He just cut the lug in half. As far as siping, I would stick to the most center lugs if you do sipe them. By doing this it will help grip on rocks a lot better and you will gain some lateral traction. Boggers are extremely aggressive but I haven't seen them work very well in off camber situations. Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

7. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah and the guy that cut his Boggers used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade. Worked real nice. Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

8. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Around here, and I suspect many areas actually, we encounter lotsa wet rocks. The siping should hurt anything, so why not. I've heard that it helps even on dry rocks. I also want to cut the lugs in half. Even down to 10psi the boggers on mine didn't act like I wanted them to. The tire would flex in the center, where there is no tread, but the lugs would remain almost flat, not rounded to match the rock. Splitting the large lugs should allow the lugs to sorta "bend" in the middle. I'm talking all theory here, but I think if I make a 45 degree diagonal split through the lugs instead of a 90 degree cut the lugs will last longer and flex more. I'm going to start this project this weekend and I'll post the results and hopefully some pix b4 and after.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've been planning on siping my tires for about a year but I've never gotten around to it. There's just something about sitting there making slices in a tire all day... I'm definitely going to do it before this winter though, MT's on an icy road are scary. Anyway check out this site:

http:// http://reality.sgi.com/rogerb/4x4/CheapTricks/TireSiping.html

This guy did BFG MT's and Swampers.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy