Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire help needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by azblazer, Jan 15, 2006.

1. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Havin a bit of a problem getting in and out of the well site with the chalet due to snow and mud with my goodyear wrangler all terrains....in fact it was a bit dicy gettin back up the mountain this afternoon in 4 Lo...3K on the tach and 5 miles an hour....:eek1: ....tiz a long way down.

So obviously a mud-snow terrain is the choice however i normally run nothing but goodyear MTR's ...but i keep having to remind myself i'm in colorado...duh.
    The wrangler at's are not holding up well to the extra strain of a K5 laden with a camper and assorted gear....so i think the cure is to find a good MT with a heavy as sidewall to stand up to the loaded chalet and oil field roads between colorado and wyoming.

So all of you resident tire guru's please respond with info and links so i can scope out the load ratings of said replacements...just don't mention the word discount tire...long story.

Thanx for the help....

Doug Wright

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Why not run a siped MTR?

3. azblazer

Side wall and foot ply's.....which i have nothing to base that opinion on currently but after i wake up from a good nights sleep tomorrow some time after being up 48 hours and i can function ...lol. I'll start looking into that.

DW

4. FWP

FWP CRS

If you want sidewall- one word- Swamper.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Look into 16" wheels so you can get a heavier load range. Siped BFG MT's do well in snow and mud and hold up better on road miles than MTR's. Most of the Discount Tire stores in snow contry have a siping machine.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Tire chains are the ultimate solution to getting around trails in the snow. Once you've driven with them on all 4 wheels, you'll just be amazed at the traction that they offer.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Wow, you're not kidding. Reminds of a time I ran 4 chains in about 4 feet of snow on a forest road. It was on old Bronco, the 302 didn't like it much though:D But the traction, man I was plowing some snow.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The MTR has about the best sidewall you can get in an off the shelf radial tire. If you go bias you will be loosing alot of the streetablity and alot of the tread life. MTRs don't really have that bad of a sidewall unless you are running sharp rocks alot. I have only cut one of my MTR's sidewalls offroad and you know that the AZ rocks especially at table mesa can be very sharp.

Like Matt said though. 16" wheels will offer you better sidewalls then 15's will. What size tire are you running on the Chalet now?

MTR's aren't the greatest in mud but there isn't much better in radials.

If it where me I would be thinking

MTR's, BFG MT's, Swamper Truxus radials, or AT's with chains.

Harley

9. azblazer

Sidewall plies is what i am after. My current tire has 2 plies. Mtr's have 3 i believe. I run 31x10.50's on the chalet harley. I understand that chains are theultimate solution in snow but AT's packed with snow are like drag slicks. Called a buddy in casper wyoming this morning and he recommended Copper SST's because you can get them in a 8 or 10 ply sidewall and thats what i want. The weight of the chalet and the nasty oilfield roads are so rough on her that somebody's previous body repairs are coming apart and i have allready had to pull the rear wheels and bend the air bag brackets back to straight and weld them to the frame. I don't want to go to 16's because i'll have to buy conversion wheels and the future of the chalet includes 1 ton axles.

DW