Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire life?..... (in years)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGEARL, Apr 18, 2006.

1. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

Since my K5 will only see around 2000-2500 miles per year tops, I was wondering what tires you guys think would last the longest in terms of actual time without rotting or cracking? The BFG MTs that are on it right now are 8 years old and seriously cracked out even though they have about 80-90% left.

Which tires last longer? bias or radial?

any brands do better than others? how about tire care tips for longevity?

The K5 will always be garaged.

thanks in advance

Nate

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, don't think I have ever read that answer before :confused:
    Well I have Swamper SSR radials. I have had them for probly close to 5yrs now. My K5 stays in the garage too, but the first 2yrs w/ the SSRs the K5 was outside. I have zero signs of cracking or age issues. I expect I will tear them up on the trail before I wear them out or they crack from age:crazy:

Is it possable that a softer tire like a swamper would be less prone to crack like a harder tire, BFG, Dunlop etc...??

3. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

i say as long as ya keep the weight off and out of the sun, they will last a lot longer.

4. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's the sun that does most of the damage.

I have a set of old dunlaps that still look pretty new, yet their appraoching 6yrs of use.