Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire mounting what do you pay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I need to get my MTRs mounted and I am curious what you guys and gals pay. I have never had my own tires and rims mounted before I have always purchased tires and had them mounted. I do not need balancing as I will have them place the air-soft pellets that I have inside the tire before they run the second bead. If it matters we have Evans tires, Wal- mart, Sears, ORW, PG Series and a few Mom and Pop used tire stores.

Thanks

Ira

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

uhh a local tireshop here charges 10 bux to dismount and 10 to mount. i got them to do 2 tires for 30

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Nothing.:D I just recently learned to use my tire spoon, and some starting fluid.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i think i paid 20 or 25 a pop at BigO
    when i called LesSchwab they quoted me $35 ea :eek1:
    these were 35s with balancing and disposal of old tire (33s)

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have 5 empty rims and 5 unmounted tires that I need done. $10 bucks that seems like a lot. But then again it has always been rolled into the cost of purchasing tires.

Ira

6. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

Second this. Except a dull Snap on Lever and starting fluid (or eyther) VVwwaaauuuump!

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

How much does a tire spoon cost and where do you get them. Cant you in theory use a large prybar to get the bead around the rim? Roz has an OBA system that I am sure will seat a bead.

Ira

8. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I might take a crack at mounting them myself. What can it hurt ya know.

Ira

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well you could hurt the tire...if you use a regular old pry bar. You could do it if you're careful, but tire spoons are really smooth and rounded off on every corner. The sharp edges of a standard pry bar could be potentially damaging. I'd recommend using a cheap tire iron, pays for itself after one use. :D

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya $10 at HF which from the looks of it is the cost of mounting 1 tire. And then I have to hassle with them to put my "dynamic balancing" in the tire rather than their ****ty weights.

Ira

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nada...

I have always done them myself..I used crowbars to dismount them, and ran the tire and rim over with the truck to break the beads!!...I eventually bought a manual tire changer off a friend for 40 bucks about 25 years ago..still use it to this day,but it can be a ballbuster!..if I'm feeling lazy or my back is sore I go visit my friends ,2 have tire machines they got from gas stations when they upgraded..I bring them beer or coffee,and I can use it all I want..

It pays to have friends with tools and equipment..like they say,"A friend in need,is a friend indeed"..

Its always been 10 bucks to have tires changed around here--I thought it was bad when it was 10 to pull one off,and put the new tire on!--now its 10 bucks EACH WAY!:rolleyes: ...so I learned fast how to do my own!..only problem I've had doing them at home is getting beads to seat on wide rims with stock tires..I put them over an open trash can,push down on the tire and rim,and used the air trapped in it to pop the beads..if all else fails,there is always starting fluid!:crazy:

BTW--anyone priced valve stems lately??--

I used to buy them from a bulk box of 500 at swap meets for 50 cents or a quarter apeice..now Autozone gets 3.99 just for two plain rubber ones!..:eek1: ..thats robbery!.."Balancing" a tire at most shops is 10 bucks per tire too!..and they put used weights on!.:mad: ..used tire prices are skyrocketing too..:( ..

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am mounting 37X12.50X15s on 15X8 wagon wheels so hopefully the bead issue will not be a problem. I have a bucket I can set the rim on if I need to "caress" the beads a little.

Ira

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I went to our local mom-n-pop tire shop, the guy charged $26 total for mounting and balancing all 4 of my 36" Iroks. That's $26 total for all four, not $26 each.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I went to our local mom-n-pop tire shop, the guy charged $26 total for mounting and balancing all 4 of my 36" Iroks. That's $26 total for all four, not $26 each.

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

got my 44" boggers done for 50.00 for all 4

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I just got the HMMWV tire switched from a whit rim to one of my black rims yesterday.
    The charge was $21 and some change.

This was to put the truck on the lift.
    Remove tire and rim.
    Remove blown BFG from the rim in the bed
    Remove HMMWV tire from existing rim
    Place HMMWV tire on the rim that had the BFG.
    Replace valve stem with a nice Blingin..all metal chrome one
    Dispose of BFG MT

18. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

Did my 44's myself with my dirt bike tire spoons and set the beads with my air tank shot of 100 psi between the bead and rim and I was good to go just leave the core out of the stem or you will blow the tire off the rim from the pressure. Talking from experience . :haha:

Cost free just about an hour and half of my time.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

generally its free. I go to america's tire. Tell them all about how you like to wheel hard and that your rig runs 39.5s/42s/44s. They swapped some tires from one set of rims to another for free for me after that. :thumb: So long as they think you might buy a $1500 set of tires from them in the future, you're golden.

j

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i went to walmart to get my tires mounted...yeah yeah dont laugh. 3.00 per tire mounting (take old tire off, install new one) .70 cents disposal fee. so 3.70 per tire about 15 bucks. also this is not balanced (i use dyna beads) and considered carry in... i parked in the lot, pulled the tires off myself and carried them in...that saved me like 3-4 buckd per tire...i love being cheap:D