Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Mar 2, 2006.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at buying either the Nitto Tera Grappler AT or the ProComp Extreme AT for a 05 F150. Not a trail rig, just a nice daily driver.

I'm looking for real world knowledge on mileage and any other thoughts you may have about either of these.

TIA!!

2. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Go to Pirate, we don't do F%$#'s here.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the constructive comments. As I said, looking for ture answers, nothing more. Now, someone else please.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

wtf kinda reply is that?:rolleyes:

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

az-k5's Dad ran Nitto's on his K30 crewcab. They seemed to be pretty damn good tires. My old boss ran them on his 1/2 ton Dodge and he liked them alot. He put a decent amount of miles on them and they seemed to do really well for him. If those are the choices then I would choose Nitto's hands down.

I don't know exactly why but I am not a Procomp fan. I have never liked them much. :dunno:

Harley

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks for gettin my back.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

No problem, that kind reply is way outta line. sorry i couldnt help with the tires though:crazy:

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

actually now that i think bout it my uncle has some procomp ats on his 04 stupid duty. hes got 25,000 miles on them and there wearing good. i think they are 305/75r16. stand roughly 34" they dont look bad. as far as i know they are just at's, not sure if theres a differance between then and the extreme at's though:confused:

9. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nittos all day long. I run them on my '03 2500 suburban (325/65R18) and love them. Fairly quite, ride beautifully, and I will be surprised if I get less than 50-60K miles out of them. My buddy just put the same size Pro Comp Extreme Ats on his G-Wagon and they could never get the damn things to balance correctly. Took it to 3 different shops (2 Discount Tires and one 4WP) and no one could get them right. They even warrantied one out to try and fix the problem, but in the end 4WP ended up giving him his $ back b/c they couldn't ever get them to balance. He put the Nitto's on and they have been flawless so far.

So, I hope that answers your question.

10. The Butcher

Not trying to nag on your uncle, but I personally think the regular Pro Comp AT is one of the most boring looking tires out there. It just looks kind of generic. The Extreme AT looks ok, but as I said in my other post, they seem to have some serious issues with balancing. For an AT, my list of favorites for looks/ride would be:
    Nitto
    BFG
    Bridgestone Desert Dueler
    Then all of the others tie for "also ran".

Sorry to hi-jack your thread with my personal opinion, but I just shake my head everytime i see a nice lifted truck with some boring looking Pro Comp ATs on it just b/c the tires were cheap.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Get the nittos from discount tire. Shop around for pirce and they will beat any compeditor. I say nitto's from working in a tire shop, having run nearly every tire out there in one form or another, and you strongly said street. The procomps have limited suppliers, and that can cause problems when looking for a replcement.

12. renny

renny Registered Member

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP!!! This is a POSER post alert please return to your regularly scheduled cardomain poser website for further information. BEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

13. The Butcher

Yeah, that's helpful.

14. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Never seen a pro comp last worth a ****

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

A big thanks to all who actually provided valuable input.:rolleyes: Anyway, part of the problem is finding the Nittos in the desired size. So far, these are the only two that make the size my brother is looking for.

And to those "other" repliers, yes this is a street truck. No, not a poser. It is a daily driver that looks very nice.

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

What size are you looking for?

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Mark, why not BFGs? If the money is going to be spent on a higher end tire, the BFG's should be a no-brainer.

18. The Butcher

I used to agree with that until I bought my Nittos. I ran 35x12.50R16.5 BFGs on my Sub until I bought 18" wheels last year and had to switch to Nittos b/c BFG didn't make an AT in the size I needed at the time. I've owned 4 sets of BFG ATs in the past 7 years, and the Nittos ride better than any of the BFG sets I have had. They also seem to be holding up just as well in terms of wear.

19. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I beleive it's a 295/17/17 or something like that. Not real common. My brother was actually able to find a set in Phoenix via the local guy he's dealing with. Apparently, the one's he is getting are the last set of 4 in the SW. Apparently, there's like 200 on back order as Nitto can't keep up with demand.

BFG didn't have the size he needed, I know that. We were checking last night on the computer for size availability.