Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire opinions on k-2500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Need tire opinions on a 95 k-2500. Reason being we are wanting a good tire with good snow, rain, and off road traction, yet is not over priced.

Reason I am asking is because it has a 454 with 4.11's and stock tires. This truck is a chore to drive in the rain, there is no taking off without spinning. Snow season is coming up and I can only imagine this.

I am hoping to fit 285's on it and we were looking at dueler at revo's.

Any opinions is helpful

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

all of our trucks at work run Goodyear Wrangler Workhorses a very good tire in my opinion, only reason I didnt get another set on my Blazer is because I wanted somethin a little meatier.

They are a good tire but they are spendy the 31/10.5s on my K10 were 145 a peice

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If had a few of these trucks. If pulling power is an issue and you don't go too far offroad- 265/75R16. If you want better mileage with the 4.10's and better offroadablity, 285/75R16. For the best offroad capability, particularly with 4.10's 255/85R16 BFG Muds or similar. 305/70's will fit with a fair amount of trimming. If you've got a rear locker, that's even better. If you stick with these your frontend will hold up, and you'll be able to do some moderate wheeling. The mud tires are a good choice over all terrains if off road capability is a consideration. Like Drey said, those workhorses are tough tires, but only offered in smaller sizes. I've had good luck with Coopers, Mastercrafts, and Goodyear.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you've got an open diff, that's your entire problem. all of my C1500s/2500s have been open diffed, and my K1500 had a G80 in it. all of the C trucks were/are a handful on wet pavement, but the K1500 acted like nothing was there.

5. bowtiepower00

Yeah, my 95 was open, with good 285's and once the snow fell, even with 500lb in the back she slid all over. A friend of mine had the same truck in a 97- mine was stick, his was auto, with good 265's and a gov-lock, and his had much more snow traction than mine. I had to lock the front end to make it up the drive, he didn't.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have the workhorses on my F250 4x4. They work well on the road and mud. 235/85 16s are 31" tall mounted on my stock wheels. No clearance issues either.:D

7. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

No I don't believe it's open, everytime it spins, it spins posi. We generally use it to drive and haul stuff like firewood and pull trailors. The only real off road it sees is our yard, but since we live on nothing but hills our yards are slick and easily spin up even in 4wd.

I was thinking 285's for gas mileage. Thought maybe it'd do slightly better on highway with them.

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

I prefer mastercraft M/T's. Thats what i use to run before i put the 8 inch lift on. Great traction on all surfaces.

9. bowtiepower00

The 285's on my 95 K2500 were Mastercraft Courser CT's which were all-terrains. From day one, I wish I'd gone with the MT's.

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am running Goodyear MTR's and love them. over 42K on them so far. they are great in the snow, mud, rain and even ice. They aren't the cheapest tire around but they are wearing like iron. 285's will fit and look nice on that truck. no trimming needed. 305's will fit if you crank the bars a little.

11. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had 265 BFG ATs on my 97, and were awesome in the snow, great in the rain, not so good in the mud, but the truck weighed close to 6500#. But overall a very good tire.