Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dvldog 70k5, Nov 22, 2004.

1. dvldog 70k5

dvldog 70k5 Registered Member

Ok I need everyones oppinion on this. I need help finding an agressive looking mud tire, that can also work on a daily driver with out going over board. Yes I know they will be louder and wear faster, but I am ok with that. I need help deciding what tires to go with that will allow for a goor offroad tire, but tires that can also handle fairly well on the road without major ballancing issues or uneven wear. So what ideas you got?

Nick

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

what size do you want? any mud terrain tire, tsl, tsl radial, ground hawg, gumbo mudder, goodyear mtr. what kinda truck u want them for? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you want it to look really nice with about the best offroad performance you can get out of a multi purpose tire it would be the SSR for me. I had them for a long time and got good mileage and were excellent in the mud.

The BFG M/T is your second bet for a less expensive, longer lasting tire that is not as impressive nor does it excell offroad as well as the SSR but still a very great tire for the money.

4. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

what size do u want? bfg mud terrain, procomp mud terrain, goodyear mtr, radial tsl, tsl, gumbo mudder, baja claw, ground hawg. what kind of truck r these gonna go on? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Use the search button on the top of the page, check look in the garage, pick newer than 2 months, subjct tires, in suject only, look at dates between oct 20-25th there are a ton of views. including my post MTR's /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. dvldog 70k5

The tires are going on my 70 K5. I am lifting it with a 6" front spring pack and 8" rear spring pack. I know for sure I can run 35's easy no rub, but I want to try and fit 36's or 37's. If I go with 35's it's a toss up between the BFG KM's and the Goodyear MTR's. If I can fit 36's I was lookin at the Super Swampers TSL's.

Nick

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

BFG MT's will probably last longer onroad but I think MTR's will outperform BFG MT's offroad in more situations because of there softer compound.

I used to be a die hard BFG man and thought I would never run any other tire then a BFG AT or MT but I am now running Goodyear MTR's and I LOVE them. I wouldn't trade my MTR's for BFG AT's or MT's.

Harley

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ground Hawg's or if you want a radial, Ground Hawg 2's. They wear like iron (Last a long time even with on road useage). I had 36x14.50x15 Ground Hawg 2's.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

MTR's all the way. Unless you are in the mud I wouldn't go for a TSL. The southwest is the perfect place for the MTR.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

36" Super Swamper Radial. Just keep 'em rotated. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    36" Super Swamper Radial. Just keep 'em rotated. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] At the price of large off road tires, Swampers wear out way too fast for my liking. Being that I don't have alot of $$$, Ground Hawg's makes more sence because of how much longer they last over Swampers. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll 2nd that, I've had them on my sub since march 04' and there doing great.

13. dvldog 70k5

I like both the TSL and the TSL Radials. What kind of mileage would I get out of each trie on a DD, as to how long they will last. I guess the problem is I know I can go bigger than a 35" but I am tryin to find something that gets a little wider. All I see avalible for a 15" rim is mostly 35-37"x12.5 So would a 36-37"x12.5 look a little narrow on a 15x10" rim?

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I havent gone through a set, so I cant say personally, but buddies of mine love them. One guy with 38" Radials on his F350 Diesel, with a locker, gets 40K out of them, easy.

I have the Radials and my buddy has the SSRs, his are wearing out FAST!

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I like both the TSL and the TSL Radials. What kind of mileage would I get out of each trie on a DD, as to how long they will last. I guess the problem is I know I can go bigger than a 35" but I am tryin to find something that gets a little wider. All I see avalible for a 15" rim is mostly 35-37"x12.5 So would a 36-37"x12.5 look a little narrow on a 15x10" rim?

[/ QUOTE ] Blazers seem to be easy on tires vs. heavier pickups. I had 20K on my 33x14.50 SSR's and they still had over 1/2 tread. I am a big fan of SSR's.

TSL radials probably last almost as long as SSR's but the bias TSL won't last much more than 20-25K probably, never had TSL's but I do have about 8K on my 35x16 boggers with about 60-65% tread still left.

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The tires are going on my 70 K5. I am lifting it with a 6" front spring pack and 8" rear spring pack. I know for sure I can run 35's easy no rub, but I want to try and fit 36's or 37's. If I go with 35's it's a toss up between the BFG KM's and the Goodyear MTR's. If I can fit 36's I was lookin at the Super Swampers TSL's.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your in the perfect place to run the Goodyear MT/R. I run them and love them. I live in the SE (North Carolina) where it gets pretty nasty muddy, and there is an abundance of rocky trails. They do awesome in the rocks. They do pretty darn good in the mud too. I was surprised when I got them because everyone told me that mt/r's didnt do good in the mud. They hold their own pretty good in the mud. They got me through a hole that a blazer running bf goodrich mt's didnt. I mainly run them in the rocks. They provide excellent traction and have pretty thick sidewalls. Mine balance and are wearing very well. Plus, mt/r's come in 35 inch or 37 inch sizes. Just my $.02.
    -Harrison

17. getitup

getitup Registered Member

For my choice I went with the ground hawgs and couldnt have been happier with my decision. I dont have a trailer to haul my rig so I have to drive it to all my wheeling locations. They work great off road and wear better than any mud tire I have seen. I didnt balance them but I dont have any major vibration problems untill about 75 mph. Well there you go Thats my opinion.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Another vote for the 37" MT/R

Swampers are NOT road tires.

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Do you use those G Hawgs in the winter?

They look like they would be kind of scary in the snow....

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you use those G Hawgs in the winter?

They look like they would be kind of scary in the snow....

[/ QUOTE ] I've ran them in the winter in the past on a few different trucks. No scarrier then any other off road tire in my honest opinion. Not the greatest thing on ice, but do pretty good in 3" or more of snow.