Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Opinions ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Sep 24, 2000.

Ok I sold my swampers to a friend,so I need some new tires.
    I was interested in a mud tire,but I'm changeing jobs and I'll have to start driving my blazer every day.I'm looking
    at these tires.

1.goodyear mt/r's
    2.b.f.goodrich mud ta's
    3 pro comp mud terain's

Any thoughts on these tires would be appreciated,thanks.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

1. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

All of these tires are very good.But the goodyears are pricey.The BFG's are a really good on road off road tire.And they aren't that expensive.My boss has the Pro-Comps he seems to like them and they are pretty cheap.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Personally I'd go for the BFGs but I've also heard that the Pro Comps are good.

90K5

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard the quality of the Pro-Comps is very high, personally I did'nt have much luck with my BFG's. I have'nt really heard too much about the Goodyears.
    I'm currently using the General Grabber MT's and have found them to be an excellant tire, they are wearing very well, 3 years and 40,000 miles and still over 50% tread left. They also have pretty good road manners and are a capable tire off road.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. I can get the mt/r's for $157 per tire in a 35/12.5/15 at the tirerack but I wonder how they are in the mud.I like the siping in the pro comp's.The new mud ta's are suppose to be siped but I have'nt seen any yet.does anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks for the post's.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I'm really liking what I've read about the Pro Comp Mud Terrains. They seem like awesome tires. One test I saw stated they outperformed all the tires tested. BFG's and swampers. The siping grabbed the rocks much better than the others and they cleared mud with a blip of the throttle. I will buy some this upcoming spring after I here more about them, like how they wear and what not. If they still sound good , they're mine !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I put on a set of Pro Comps Mud Terrains, and I love them they are quieter and smoother running than the Bfg's I had.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the testimonial cornfed !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Cornfed,

Please keep me informed on they wear. I'd appreciate it !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. Have you had the pro comps's off road much?
    Thanks for the reply.

10. No one has any input on any of these tires?Come on guys.

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I sent you a private on this, but wanted to add that my Brother runs Goodyear M/T's(old style) on his Dodge and they are wearing quite nicely! Also they did have them at The Tire Rack for $127 for either a 33 or 35.... Dont know what the price is now though...

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. I got your message,thanks for the reply though.

13. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I just looked at the BFGoodrich site to see if they were indeed going to make a siped mud tire... found out that they no longer make tires, they sold thier tire making division to Michelin in 1986? They did have a link to follow to find BFG tires. They do not appear to have a siped mud tire listed.(yet?)

14. I had the same problem when I went to there sight.There is a post on this board with a pic of the tire somewhere.
    Thanks for the reply.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I am running the BFG muds and very happy with them. They have been wearing good for a mud tire also. They are quiet for a mud tire also. I have the old style AT's on my other Blazer and they are an awsome street/ part time off road tire. Now they won't be as good in the mud as the MT's but if your going to be doing a lot of street driving you might want to include them in your tire shopping list. I have had a few people I know that have a set of road tires and a set of off road tires like a set of swampers. Most run the BFG AT ko for the street and most have decided unless they are going where they know they will be running into a lot of bottomless mud they hav just about quit using the swampers. We are not talking pansy trails here, were talking Tellico. Most had the same comment. the only time they miss the swampers when off roading is deep mud. The KO's do pretty good all other places and don't beat me to death on the way home. Now by all means if your going to be dealing with snow this winter the KO's will out perform most Muds hands down.
    My bud just got a set of the Pro comps and sofar he said on road manners are on par with the BFG muds he had before. He likes the bigger side lugs and is very pleased with them off road as well. Also have a bud with the Good years but have not been with him on the trail since he got them. Will be wheeling tellico this weekend and if this thread is still at the top and I have gotten any comments from him I'll let you know.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

16. Thanks GRIM,let me know how it goes.I'm trying to buy a set
    of B.F.G mud ta's off 6.2Blazer the price is right.I wanted
    to get 35's but 33's will do for me right now.
    Thanks for all the replies.

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have the goodyear mt/r in 33x12.5. They have been great tires so far. Very quiet on the road for a mud tire. I like the tough sidewalls too. PLus everyone has BFGs, and being different is cool.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

18. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Grim, I got a Flat Top Knuckle for ya $35.00

Got Russels extra flat top, will bring it to Tellico on Friday for the Dixie Run, if ya want it he said $35.00.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

19. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just as a side thought, to throw in another alternative, have you looked at Yokohoma Geolander M/T's? I am starting to look for a MT, and saw these. They have a directional, V shaped tread like the Mickey Thompson Baja's. Both Four Wheeler and 4Wheel and Offroad had good things to say about them back in 1999. Said they wear good, handle well onroad, act like an AT offroad, but still tear it up in the mud. All that, and the fact that 35x12.5's are 130 or so a tire, means I am saving up for a set of those. www.yokohamatire.com Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]