Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire options for 1-ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got an 86 M1008 CUCV. It's rated at 1.25 ton and I use it to haul drywall and other heavy stuff. The original tires are load rating E. I'd like to open up the fenders a little and put some 35 or 36" tires on there for off roading, but I still want to be able to haul stuff sometimes.

What do you guys recommend for tires? I think BFG all terrains go up to D. What kind of tires do Hummers use? Aren't those 36's? Or am I making too big of a deal out of load rating anyway? Maybe it doesn't matter for the occasional haul.

TIA

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Look at the actual lbs rating on the tire. There's D-rated tires that take more weight than E-rated.

I ran D-rated metric 33's (255/85R16) BFG Muds on my 7700lb crewcab for a couple years. They held up fine, and rode better than E-rated 31" Toyo's. The open lug pattern doesn't plug up with snow, mud, or muskeg like an AT will.

I'm probably going to get into Michelin military, Coyote's, or a tall/skinny TSL or SSR next time.

I think the Humvee tires are Goodyear Wrangler in a 36x12.5"... for a 16.5" wheel.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm looking at Swamper SSR's possibly, in 35x10.5R-16/8. Anyone have an opinion on these tires? I can't find much else in a tall skinny tire to fit my CUCV rims. In fact, I can't find anything else that's 10 inches wide and 34-35" diamter... did I miss anything?

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Not unless you like bias-ply.... Q78 Swamper, and a few other 9.00R16 tires. (I googled up the names 'Grip Spur' and 'Power King' model NR-50)